Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Reading wind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Reading wind

Hello,

I was out today and managed to take my best shot to date a crow at 400mtrs!

This was with my .243win and a 70gr nos bt @ 3400fps.

I now have a good drop chart for this bullet but I have no idea how to get an accurate windage adjustment in field conditions.

On the shot today wind was @ 3 o'clock and brisk so I guessed at 1mil and aimed with hold off on the mil dots, as it happens correctly!

Working the 1mil back seems to give a wind speed of 10mph how would you describe/identify a ten mph wind?

How would you go about settings for wind on such a shot?

Thanks Jeza
Old 12-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Reading wind

Feel, trees moving, grass moving, mirage moving, cotton wood seeds or fog drifting by. Anything and everything that can be used as a visual aid should be observed. How fast?? You will know by the amount of practice you spend in the field. It sounds like you are making a good start and on the right track! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Gold Member

Jeza, Buying a good wind speed meter will help also. You can read the wind and then observe the effect on trees, bushes, mirage, etc. Then when you are afield and can't use the meter, you'll have a SWAG to go by (scientific wild a** guess!!). Practice shooting will teach you how much to hold off unless you get a PDA. Then all the data can be inputted and the "answer" will be given. Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Gold Member

Yup, I'd agree, buy a wind meter...and use it on dog walks (as well as when out shooting!) to 'calibrate' -with certainty- your senses and SWAG cues ...for the time you forget to pack it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!
Old 12-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies!

Wind meter and copious practise it is then. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I like the dog walk idea but I'm not sure how much more the wife and kids can take as I already take the range finder along and zap everything in sight! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jeza
Old 12-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

In addition to the wind meter watch how birds fly and leaves shake on the limb or float as they drift down. These will give you an idea of what is happening in the vicinity of your target.

Go down to the General Discussion section and look at the Paw Paw bends picture. Wind up on the ridge where I was set up was from east to west but down along the river it was north to south. Final wind drift at 800 yds was 12 and 18 inches on two different shots at a rock because wind was gusting.

Morale of the story - there is wind drift where you are and there is wind drift where the target is. Very often they are different.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Nice location!

So that would have been .4 mil and .6 mil adjustment needed?

Did you have enough info/feel for the shot to dial that in then?

Jeza