Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Re: Flinching/ Anticipation Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

What is the proper technique to avoid flinching? I find myself anticipating the shot occassionaly and ruining what would otherwise be a good group. Is this just a mental thing that I should try and shoot through with correct technique, or are equipment modifications in order (lighter trigger pulls)?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrye View Post
What is the proper technique to avoid flinching? I find myself anticipating the shot occassionaly and ruining what would otherwise be a good group. Is this just a mental thing that I should try and shoot through with correct technique, or are equipment modifications in order (lighter trigger pulls)?

The single most important skill in shooting is trigger control. The best thing you can do is dry fire practice. I dry fire practice more than I shoot live.

If you haven't done it before, there is one critical thing to always remember.
NO live ammo in the area you are using for dry fire practice.

Dry fire practice allows you to practice trigger control without any stress of recoil, hitting your target etc.

You should take the same position you would take at the range, or hunting and concentrate on gently squeezing the trigger. I generally practice prone, off a table (bench) and also standing. I use yellow post-its with small black circles drawn on them as targets. In my basement, I can stick them on one end of the basement and practice from the other end.

When dry-fire practicing, make sure the rifle does not move when you squeeze the trigger. You should be able to see the jiggle caused by the firing pin and that is all.

As far as flinching. I always recommend double ear protection, as the sound is more likely to cause flinching than the actual recoil.

Another thing you can do, is shoot a 22LR and practice your trigger control (just like the dry-fire practice).

I'm sure there are other things, but these are the items that I always recommend.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

I have a mantra that I have been using since I was a kid.

Breathe
Relax
Aim
Adjust
S q u e e z e

Along with dry firing on a spent casing I try to shoot 50 rds. out of my .22lr for every 5 centerfire.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Gold Member

What caliber do you shoot?
You may need to drop down in caliber size if your flinching.
If your afraid of getting hammered by a rifle, you'll never shoot it well.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrye View Post

I'm no expert, but shooting an unbraked 9 lb. 2 oz. rifle with load that develops 4800ft. lb. with any accuracy has 'pounded' a few things into me. One of the main things for me is absolute concentration and focus on placing the the crosshairs on the target properly--shooting prone off a bipod. Breathing control, as little stress in the system so the at the shot there is no extra movement of the rifle and concentrating on that target to the exclusion of most everything else. If my concentration is truly focused on that target and I'm doing my part to setup and hold the rifle right, the trigger pull is the next thing. The Jewell on mine is factory set at 1 lb and I allowed quite a bit of overtravel so it doesn't come up against a 'stop' as it's fired. (There's a good article on this in the 'Articles section' and do a web search for 'Bugholes from a bipod', and article on a benchrest forum about the 'hard hold' technique of shooting off a bipod.) A light trigger requires respect, and most of the time, the tigger will break before i have a chance to anticipate anything so less chance of flinching--but I shouldn't be anticipating anything because I'm concentrating fully on the target, right? You just have to let yourself get hammered and take it and don't worry about it. It's like the wide reciever that's going up for a 45 yard pass, nails the ball, knows he's going to get hammered by the defender, but makes the catch and gets hammered anyway. Part of the game, you know? Have fun!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

gamedog's advise is on the money.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

The gun in question is a 338 RUM with a B&C A5 style stock. I moved up from a 300 WBY, so I am not new to recoil. The RUM itself is fairly heavy, but still has some jump left in it even with a Vais brake. Felt recoil isn't bad at all, (never black and blue or sore) but the bark does keep me from holding my eyes open and consistenly squeezing the trigger everytime. I do shoot the gun well, but I think my reactive sense (outside stimulus) is too sensitive. After reading the replies here, I think a lot of it is between the ears. AJ, I have the molded in ear plugs, but feel that doubling up is a good idea to reduce the noise of the shot. I have also picked up a 22 & 308 to use as trainers.