Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Questions on a build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Questions on a build

I am thinking of starting to buy parts for a build. Please tell me what your guys thoughts are. It will be a 300 wsm tactical to help get me into long range shooting I have a 600yd range I will be a member of. I figure since I hand load I will probably start out at reduced loads to mimic a 308 for some volume shooting. I would eventually like to use this gun for some long range hunting but mainly target shooting to begin with. (maybe some f-class and silhouette as well?)

Stiller Tac 300 Action
Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist A5
Brux Barrel 27" 1-10 twist #4 contour
Timney Trigger

1. I know there are the other components needed. All the bottom metal. I guess my question is what exactly does all the bottom metal consist of and should I buy it in a kit or all items separate?

2. What do I need to do since I want to use a long action for a short action cartridge? Is there anything I need to be aware of?

3. Will a #4 contour fit a Medalist A5? will the gunsmith need to do extra inletting on the stock after purchase or should it fit fine ( I do want to get the gun bedded)

4. Should I have a smith glass bed and free float or glass bed and pillar bed?

5. What will be asked of me when it comes time to chamber a barrel? I know a lot of times barrels are chambered for certain bullets. What should I want in terms of specs?

6. I eventually want to run a suppressor. Should I get the barrel threaded and run a muzzle brake until then? I am not recoil shy but is it worth it?

I will probably have more questions but these are the first that come to mind.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Questions on a build

Quote:
Originally Posted by webs View Post
I am thinking of starting to buy parts for a build. Please tell me what your guys thoughts are. It will be a 300 wsm tactical to help get me into long range shooting I have a 600yd range I will be a member of. I figure since I hand load I will probably start out at reduced loads to mimic a 308 for some volume shooting. I would eventually like to use this gun for some long range hunting but mainly target shooting to begin with. (maybe some f-class and silhouette as well?)

Stiller Tac 300 Action
Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist A5
Brux Barrel 27" 1-10 twist #4 contour
Timney Trigger

1. I know there are the other components needed. All the bottom metal. I guess my question is what exactly does all the bottom metal consist of and should I buy it in a kit or all items separate?

2. What do I need to do since I want to use a long action for a short action cartridge? Is there anything I need to be aware of?

3. Will a #4 contour fit a Medalist A5? will the gunsmith need to do extra inletting on the stock after purchase or should it fit fine ( I do want to get the gun bedded)

4. Should I have a smith glass bed and free float or glass bed and pillar bed?

5. What will be asked of me when it comes time to chamber a barrel? I know a lot of times barrels are chambered for certain bullets. What should I want in terms of specs?

6. I eventually want to run a suppressor. Should I get the barrel threaded and run a muzzle brake until then? I am not recoil shy but is it worth it?

I will probably have more questions but these are the first that come to mind.
1=2 use a traxler industries kwik clip it's cheap and feeds short mags like buttered pigs.

3. a #4 would fit no problem that stock is opened for a varmit contour. That stock is heavy and I always say put the weight in the barrel. your going with a barrel that weights 3.5lbs and a 5.5lb stock, I would flip those 2 around and get a lighter stock and a heavier barrel.

4. epoxy bed only that stock has an aluminum bedding block, pillars are redundant to such a stock.

5. 300 wsm match chamber throated for a long action, and whatever bullets you plan to shoot as the primary. Send a dummy to your smith, set the BT/bearing surface equal with the neck shoulder junction of the case.

6. a gun that weight dosen't need a brake unless you want a better chance of spotting your own shots, You can have a thread protector put on but get the thread specs to your smith from the suppresor manf. first.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

I guess I would like to keep the gun somewhat light. (13 lbs with scope) what would you recommend for a stock? I would like some adjustability in it if possible(cheek piece at least) What brux contour would you recommend out too 1000 yds? And with say a Votrex PST I would imagine I would need a 20moa base. My goal is to be able to work this rifle into a consistent half-moa gun.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Couple things come to mind. I usually visit with the smith before ordering parts. Could save some headaches in the long run. As far as starting out, I would get a smaller caliber with good barrel life and easy on the shoulder if you plan on shooting f-class. Reducing loads may cause you accuracy to suffer. I have culled many whitetail does in ND with a 6X47lapua out to 900yds.

I have built almost identical rigs you are planning on building. I can tell you what I liked and disliked. I have one that should be done any day now that you might be interested in. 260 around 12lbs threaded for a YHM suppressor. PM me if you want a phone number to talk and see them in person. Always looking for someone to shoot with.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 03-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Personally...I wouldnt spend the $$ to build ANY "WSM" cartridge rifle. Im searching for a long action to build a 30-06 on...and Ive watched the good shooters at Perry to know they can hit and do a great job at 1000....far more than I'll ever shoot one.