I am thinking of starting to buy parts for a build. Please tell me what your guys thoughts are. It will be a 300 wsm
tactical to help get me into long range shooting I have a 600yd range I will be a member of. I figure since I hand load I will probably start out at reduced loads to mimic a 308 for some volume shooting. I would eventually like to use this gun for some long range hunting but mainly target shooting to begin with. (maybe some f-class and silhouette as well?)
Stiller Tac 300 Action
Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist A5
Brux Barrel 27" 1-10 twist #4 contour
1. I know there are the other components needed. All the bottom metal. I guess my question is what exactly does all the bottom metal consist of and should I buy it in a kit or all items separate?
2. What do I need to do since I want to use a long action for a short action cartridge? Is there anything I need to be aware of?
3. Will a #4 contour fit a Medalist A5? will the gunsmith need to do extra inletting on the stock after purchase or should it fit fine ( I do want to get the gun bedded)
4. Should I have a smith glass bed and free float or glass bed and pillar bed?
5. What will be asked of me when it comes time to chamber a barrel? I know a lot of times barrels are chambered for certain bullets. What should I want in terms of specs?
6. I eventually want to run a suppressor. Should I get the barrel threaded and run a muzzle brake
until then? I am not recoil shy but is it worth it?
I will probably have more questions but these are the first that come to mind.