Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Questions about my first Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Questions about my first Savage

Squirrelduster-
The barrel will be in .300 win mag. Thanks for the info on the trigger. I am hearing very good things. I grew up just very short distance from where you are. Good to see someone from so close to home.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Savage rifles have a reputation for uncanny accuracy even with the factory barrels. If I were you, I think I'd bed the rifle into the stock of your choosing (read up on it; Savages have a few tricks to them), swap the trigger for the Rifle Basix SAV-2, and shoot it. I think it will do quite well, and you may save yourself a fair amount of $ in the process.

The worst it would do is convince you that you need a different barrel, but on the other hand it may prove itself and give you more time to upgrade as funds become available.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Bronze Member

I have a rifle basix trigger on my Winchester model 70, And I absolutely love it. I will be purchasing one for my Savage Model 10 when the time comes. (that will be after my stock.)

Shifty
Old 12-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like Rifle Basix triggers are the way to go. But there are three models for this rifle. The Sav-1, Sav-2, and I think I saw a 3. The Sav-2 being more expensive but the descriptions of the 1 and 2 sound the same. Anyone have any insight into this. Also, after a couple of days looking for stocks I am finding that there are very few mid price ranged stock. There are cheap stocks for 80-100 that don't look like they will be much better than the factory stock and there are what I consider expensive stocks $500+. What stocks are you Savage guys using?
Old 12-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Bronze Member

Im at the same cross road, and have just decided to wait and save for the stock I really want instead of just settling for something. I am going to buy a adjustable comb off this site for my stock, for better fitment while I save my pennies and buy the Manners I want.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

That is probably what I should do. I am just one of these people that are very impatient. I am really not in a rush for this rifle. Although I would love to have it done before October for my Elk hunting. Guess I better start saving.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=pburton;887511]That is probably what I should do. I am just one of these people that are very impatient.

HAHA im the same way I started my project this past spring/summer. and was wanting it for this years coyote season. don't think its goin to happen. I still have yet to break in barrel. and do load development.