Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Questions about my first Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Questions about my first Savage

I picked up a Savage 111 FCNS .300 win mag today at a pawn shop for $250. I felt like I could not pass up this deal. Now this is an older model without the accutrigger. But I felt like I could not go wrong for this price. This is the first Savage bolt action that I have ever owned and I don't know much about Savages. So I have a few questions. I have decided to build a long range rifle off of this platform. I started looking around at new stocks, triggers, barrels etc. When looking at stocks there is a center feed and non center feed. What does this mean? This is a blind magazine and when loading the ammo it does load from the center. But once in there it staggers each round. So is this center feed or non center feed? Also I see that there are a few barrel makers that have prefit barrels. Pac-Nor, Shilen, and McGowen specifically. Anyone using McGowen barrels? Are they worth using? I have never heard of them. And then triggers. I have used Timney triggers in the past with OK results. But I also have been seeing Rifle Basix triggers. A little cheaper. Any reviews or opinions on these? Am I just getting cheap? I really do not have a set end budget on this build, but, I am going to have to do thie piece at a time. Any help with this project would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: Questions about my first Savage

Lots of good Savage answers from these guys:
Savage Shooters - Home

I have a McGowen barrel on a Savage Model 12 in 300 WSM and think it is great.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout View Post
Lots of good Savage answers from these guys:
Savage Shooters - Home

I have a McGowen barrel on a Savage Model 12 in 300 WSM and think it is great.
+1 These guys have the answers for all your questions concerning a Savage.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply. I will look into that site. You have had good accuracy with the McGowen barrels?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Savage shooters is a good place for a ton of information about anything Savage or Stevens. I hang out there quite a bit.

McGowan is a solid barrel maker. I've had a couple and they've shot very well for me. I wouldn't call them a premier barrel maker, but much better than a factory barrel. Great value for the cost.

Rifle Basix makes the best aftermarket trigger for the Savage. It is the Sav-2. The only other trigger I would use is the SSS Competition trigger. Works well, I just don't like the feel. The Basix Sav-1, Timney, and Jard are basically just well made copies of the factory 3-screw. Not worth the money.

Look at Stockade for stocks. Best built-to-order stocks made for Savage.

Center feed and Stagger feed is in reference to the top round. Stagger feeds alternate from side to side on the top round. The top round is only held in by one feed lip. Center feed, the top round is held in the center by two feed lips. Stagger feed magazines are affixed to the action. Center feed magazines stay with the stock.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Thank you for the detailed reply. That answers a lot of my questions.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

I have a McGowen in 6.5 x .284 and it really shoots. Clay pigeons at 600 are pretty easy once you get the wind figures.
+1 on the rifle Basix trigger. Not on par with a Jewell but pretty smooth.
What caliber are you looking at?
I recently had a stock made by Manners Composite stocks for my Savage. It was an awesome piece of work. Very very light and very stiff.
I had a Stockade stock and it was way cheaper but pretty heavy.