Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

questions about accuracy for savage swap barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: questions about accuracy for savage swap barrel

thanks for replies.
machv could you send me some fotos of the set screw idea, assuming u have done it.cheers.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

I don't think I'd have any work done by these guys. It just sounds like they're trying to stick you with more work to be done. Like the others have said, there are plenty of super accurate Savages out there using the nut. That's part of what makes the Savage such an easy platform to build off of. And the greatest benefit of the floating bolt head is that it doesn't need to be trued.

On top of that, $540 sounds like an awful lot for a barrel from a lesser known manufacturer. They might be great, and they should be for that price. But you can get pre-fits from Shilen, Douglas, PacNor, Lothar Walther, Brux, McGowen, and others for around $350. These are proven makers that have a lot of happy customers, and some have more than a few match wins to their credit.

I've never had any trouble getting a Savage to shoot accurately before or after a barrel swap. When ever I get a new rifle or barrel, I just set the head space so that the bolt just closes on a Go-Gage. Then whenever I want to swap barrels, I just set the head space to the same Gage the next time I install the barrel, and I've never had any trouble. All of my Savages shoot at least .5 MOA before and after a swap. And that's good enough for me.

Andrew
Old 08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign View Post
The only thing to consider is your extractor which I am not sure what model you have, but you need to be sure it will work on both calibres.

Regards
Grant.
Maybe you caught this, maybe not.
The last thing he 'said' tells me (and should you) he doesn't know Savage rifles as well as he should.
It's not a matter of extractors.
You need to change bolts or swap bolt heads.
He looses all credibility & causes me to wonder...
Was he just fishin' for business.
It sure sounds like "bait n switch" tactics to me.

dk
Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

thanks for all the replies fellas
true flite barrels are a nz company. they have an impressive record and their barrels are ment to be really ggod. the price quoted by him was in NZ$ and was for a top match barrel. id get a sporter barrel. around 340 NZ. so thats around 200US i think.
im tending to agree with the general consensus on him fishing for business. but io guess he doesnt want me to end up with something that is less than it could be.
I sent him an email asking if he could just thread the outside of a barrel for me and id head space it my self.
well see what happens
i dont have any go guages at the moment and being in NZ makes them a hassel to get. could i make them on a lath easily.well it shouldnt be hard. but what dimentions would they need to be. The dimentions of the diagrames in the hornady reloading manaul for brass size??
cheers for all the info
Old 08-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

You could use the specs for a givin cartriage and build a go-gauge but I use a resized case for a go-gauge and a piece of tap over the head of the case for a no-go gauge. Do NOT use a loaded round!!, I used a primed case when setting the last barrel and scared the bejesus outs me when it went pop.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

haha machv that would definatly make you jump.. so you just meke sure that the case you use is a fully sized one im guessing then. cheers
Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign View Post
haha machv that would definatly make you jump.. so you just meke sure that the case you use is a fully sized one im guessing then. cheers
Full sized cases work fine. That's usually what I use.

Setting off of a sized case tends to be on the small side of headspace. This is usually good, since you can FL size your brass without overworking them.