Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

questions about accuracy for savage swap barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

questions about accuracy for savage swap barrel

hey im looking into doing the whole savage swap barrel thing.
have been emailing a local gunsmith at true-flite barrels here in nz and he says that id be better of not using the whole barrel nut thing. imn going to include the emails ive been sending him and the replys i give.
kind of going crazy thinking bout it.
sorry the conversation starts at the bottom of the post.
cheers all

Hi Rob,

You would still be better off without the barrel nut in a barrel swap situation, as we can mark both barrels to align with a mark on the underside of the receiver, in doing this you can gaurantee correct fitment every time. The only thing to consider is your extractor which I am not sure what model you have, but you need to be sure it will work on both calibres.

Regards
Grant.

Hi Grant
I realize that you can do the work nut i was aiming to have the option of swapping out the barrels myself. that way i can change between a .223 and .308. (changing the bolt face of course.
Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

if you are in NZ you just need to send us your rifle and we will fit the barrel for you. We can true the receiver face, or not at your request.

hey Grant

Thats a shame because I was saving to get a barrel of you guys. Really would like a nz product and the option of changing out barrels myself.
Could a gun smith thread a barrel from you guys and make it into a savage drop in barrel. Or could there be a method of trueing the reciever face of a savage action so that a more accurate face is made and then still use the barrel nut. I dont really want to go full custom at the moment. Other wise id have a bernard action and one of you barrels being set up at the moment. Or the 700 action i have being worked on.
thanks for you knowledge
cheers
rob

Hi Rob,

We have abandoned this plan for Savage prefits, as it has come to our attention that the savage receiver face that the barrel meshes with is apparently finished by holding the receiver in a jig, and it is then pushed into a linisher of sorts which creates a not-so-accurate face. In light of this, most people find it advantageous to accurise the receiver face and do away with the barrel nut, and resorting to a standard type barrel Tenon fit. The result is a much more accurate rig.

The cost of a .223 1-8" barrel is $540.00+gst for an Ultra Match.

Kind Regards
Grant.

Hi
I emailed you the other day asking about savage drop in barrels. i was wondering when you are likely to have the process up and running. i was also wondering how much a .223 rem barrel with a 1 in 8 twist would cost. Contoured in a varmit contour and of a length you deem suitable?
cheers
rob

Old 07-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: questions about accuracy for savage swap barrel

I wouldn't have them do any work for me. I swap barrels on a Savage and have no problems with accuracy. I believe the floating boltface helps with squareness issues in the Savage.

You can have anyone thread/chamber a barrel for your savage that will use the barrel nut. the squareness of the face of the receiver has the same impact on the rifle, whether a nut is used or not. Think of the nut as a movable shoulder on the barrel.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

thanks Aj.so i could get a barrel from them and then have the outside threaded and just go from there?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign View Post
thanks Aj.so i could get a barrel from them and then have the outside threaded and just go from there?
Yes, or you could ask them again to chamber/thread a barrel to be used with the barrle nut. Any competent gunsmith should be able to fix you up.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

If your gonna have a smith chamber/thread and true an action then any action can be set up for a switchbarrel. The bigest advantage of a Savage/Stevens is the nut!! YOU can change them back and forth yourself. Its easy and fast to swap out barrels...specialy if you say with the same bolthead. If you are gonna swap a couple of barrels back and forth often then just drill the nut for a set screw and mark the barrel and action so they go back to the same spot every time.
The scope will have to be reset with a barrel change but if you make a keep track of the scope settings they dont change very much.
I dont change barrels as often as I used to, actions are fairly cheap here so about the only time I swap out barrels these days is if I get tired of a cirtain calibar or a barrel whares out.

Just picked up another action/stock the other day, still trying to decide what barrel to put on it.....Leaning twards the 708 sporter barrel for a lite walking big game unit???

Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

It seems allot of guys swap the recoil lug for a thicker machined one. I would think that having that machined surface between the receiver face and the nut would help keep things straight also.
I think I would have my smith true the receiver face when he cut the threads on the barrel, it should be a simple thing for him to do.
A nutless Savage is just not as good looking.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
It seems allot of guys swap the recoil lug for a thicker machined one. I would think that having that machined surface between the receiver face and the nut would help keep things straight also.
I think I would have my smith true the receiver face when he cut the threads on the barrel, it should be a simple thing for him to do.
A nutless Savage is just not as good looking.
Good point, a machined recoil lug and machined nut (get them from savage shooters supply) are a great idea and help keep everything straight. The stock recoil lugs I've measured, were thicker on one end than the other (a couple thousandths).

AJ