Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

A question for the experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Bronze Member

A question for the experts

After reading more posts then I care to comment on I have developed a question that has more variables then givens.

I was wondering what STOCK model/brand 25-06 would you guys recommend. I say stock because I would be looking for a heavy barreled model that would eat factory loads out to 500 yds on deer size critters or smaller. That's not to say a bit of accurizing isn't an option but would like to start out with a great base stick. I don't hand load at this point in time but that's not to say I wont start somewhere down the road.
I really don't mind spending a bit more upfront for the base rifle if the $$$ is justified. Like all ya'll I want the most bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: A question for the experts

Hi Slipshot,
Welcome to the forum. Look for a Remington Senderro, even though they were dropped for 2005, if you look around you should still be able to find one brand new.

A nice piece with a fluted heavy stainless barrel and stainless action, sat in a carbon/composite stock with a full length aluminium bedding block. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 05-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

Always another option.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976511114.htm
Old 05-22-2005, 02:06 PM
SPONSOR

If weight is not an issue, I don't think a guy could go wrong with a Savage 112BVSS or the 110FP. Personally, I would go with the 112 as the laminate stock is much nicer that the flexible plastic one on the 110.

Some may disagree but I think you have a better chance of getting an accurate gun with the Savage. I have yet to see one that wouldn't shoot.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

Get one of the Smiths on this forum to build you a custom rifle.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys.
I have done some home work since I posted this question. Hell as far as I can see a custom may be worth the extra cash. Remingtons are around a grand and Winchester only builds 3 models in 25-06 (way more then I would spend for a mass produced . Priced a Cooper at 1800 for a varminter. Savage is the cheapest I found so far (or should I say least expensive) at around 900. I havent priced a Sako yet but I figure they will be somewere on the top end of the above mentioned price range. The above prices are suggested retail and I know they will be cheaper then that if a person does some searching.
Any of you smiths care to give me an idea what a custom will go for? Just a ball park figure because I know there are lots of options that drive the bottom line.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:27 PM
SPONSOR

You can get the Savage for around or under $600. Shoot me an email bailey1474@hotmail.com. I know we have some in stock. I can give you a price tomorrow morning.