Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Problem shooting too low while prone today at the range.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Problem shooting too low while prone today at the range.

Hi

Thank you for the replies. These are one reason that I like this site - everyone is helpful and respectful.

I do not yet have a bipod but hope to get one next year.

I have uploaded some pictures from home showing me holding the rifle. This might help. I was not flinching when I sighted in and did not get him with the scope, but after being hit several times yesterday, flinched to the point where it was time to just give it up and wait the extra hour for the range work party to begin.

I seemed to have a really bad fit issue with the rifle yesterday.

Next time I go to the range I will bring the flip camera and video tape my shooting.

To clarify --I was shooting prone at the range using two old pant legs filled with wood pellets as a rest.

Last edited by permaculture; 08-21-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Eye relief to the scope looks OK from the pictures. Appears to be about 3 inches which should be a minimum. Looks like you could possibly use some height on the stock for a tighter cheek weld. Easy enough to try for about $25 for a Scope Eze cheek rest from Brownells, or you can experiment first with some duct tape and foam rubber. Looks like maybe a half inch in height or so would tighten you up.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Bronze Member

I went out again this weekend. This will be the last time I get to go before my trip. The range was really busy as you would expect, with everyone and his brother-in-law wanting to "sight-in".

The good news is that I did not get scoped in the face once. I need to still get a scope-eze thing as the stock is too low, as GreyFox stated. I was able to shoot 3-4 inch groups low and to the right at 200 yards. I have a lot more confidence now than I did last time.

Cheers