Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Primers - magnum or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Silver Member
Re: Primers - magnum or not?

Primers are an integral part of the cartridge system, just like powder, cases, and bullets.

In short, any variation in any of these can to a greater or lesser extent affect the pressures generated during firing.

Rule of thumb, is to refer to a competent reloading manual and only use magnum primers when the manual recommends it.

In general, .270 Winchester will not require the hotter ignition of a magnum primer, and use thereof could lead to problems.

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS: If you would like to experiment with primers, changing primer manufacturer's within the category, such as F210M for WLR, CCI 200, BR2 or Remington 9 1/2 primers can affect accuracy in a specific weapon and are worth experimenting with. I generally only change one component at a time so that I can see the effects of that change.

Magnum primers can be used for very low temperature application, but this should be done with care.

[ 02-17-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]
People slept peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stood ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell
We honor and support those men and women who stand ready to do violence on behalf of the United States.

Unread 02-20-2004, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Primers - magnum or not?

I use 210M and 215M primers for most all my loading, 210M mostly.

I've never had a hangfire, or misfire with the 210M down to near 0 deg F temps in the 300 Ultra, or 30-338 Lapua Imp. I've used RL22, RL25 and Retumbo mainly, another powder "may" be different.

Do try the 215M though, it has given great groups when the 210M didn't, and the other way around too. Pressure changes are usually no more than 2-4K psi at most, and often the 210M will drop pressure, but one load with the 178 A-Max recently went up 3K psi using the 210M over the 215M. The exact opposite happened with the 210 JLK and many others though. MV changes are not always indicative of pressure changes associated with primer changes though. I believe this may be why the change of primer type can have some effect on groups.

Nick told me recently that he had a problem with hangfires using CCI standard primers, I think that's what they were anyway. He had been using WLRM and doing fine until he changed. Then he went to Fed, 210 I think, but he said ES was too great and when he went back to the WLRM he had his first hangfire with it. I haven't heard any more on where he's at yet, but so far the Fed did work fine.
Brent Moffitt