Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Primer missing!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-06-2016, 12:58 AM

Primer missing!

Not sure if this is the correct area to post but it's a new experience for me.

While out today I took a few shots. On my second shot I tried to reload and notice my bolt stuck. After jerking back with some force it finally freed and I noticed my case was missing its primer. I was shooting factor Hornady Match 6.5 CM, my fifth box and only issue ever. It's a new rifle, Christensen Ridgeline. My real concern is should I have my rifle inspected before shooting anymore? Could it have just been a lemon round?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Primer missing!-img_0261.jpg   Primer missing!-img_0260.jpg  

Unread 12-06-2016, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Primer missing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrowning View Post
Not sure if this is the correct area to post but it's a new experience for me.

While out today I took a few shots. On my second shot I tried to reload and notice my bolt stuck. After jerking back with some force it finally freed and I noticed my case was missing its primer. I was shooting factor Hornady Match 6.5 CM, my fifth box and only issue ever. It's a new rifle, Christensen Ridgeline. My real concern is should I have my rifle inspected before shooting anymore? Could it have just been a lemon round?
IIWM, I'd notify Hornady of your experience.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Unread 12-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

C, how long have you had the ammo? Where was it stored? A friend's son had an expensive box of WBY ammo he'd kept in his garage here in Az for a year. First shot we couldn't open the bolt. The heat had apparently altered the powder making it unstable. Also heard the same happened to another with ammo kept in a truck. Certainly would have the bolt/chamber checked for possible damage.

Last edited by Dosh; 12-06-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Add
Unread 12-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

If I recall correctly, Snipers Hide had a relatively extensive thread going on about Hornady & ammo problems. Record your lot number and get in touch with Hornady.

You definitely popped a primer (duh) but it isn't the worst I've ever seen. It definitely won't hurt to have your rifle checked out and provided with a clean bill of health. Would I? maybe, circumstances pending of course. You should be able to do a pretty dern good visual i.e. bolt face, lug recesses etc.

At the very least you need to disassemble the bolt and clean out the crap that was bound to have been forced into it thru the firing pin hole.

Let us know what Hornady says.

t

Unread 12-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

Ive shot ammo that my grandpa had that was 30-40 years old. Some of his shotgun ammo was a lot older than that. And his shack was not air or moister tight. Ive never seen that happen before. Usually primers either work, or they dont. I would notify hornady right away, and I would make a big stink about it. You never know, you might get something free out of it.
Unread 12-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosh View Post
C, how long have you had the ammo? Where was it stored? A friend's son had an expensive box of WBY ammo he'd kept in his garage here in Az for a year. First shot we couldn't open the bolt. The heat had apparently altered the powder making it unstable. Also heard the same happened to another with ammo kept in a truck. Certainly would have the bolt/chamber checked for possible damage.
Stored in my weapons closet the whole time up until a few days before I shot it. Heat wasn't an issue since it was below freezing everyday.

I emailed Hornady, not liking there system. They responded with wanting me to call in so I'll see if that provided any actual help from them. And I'll be taking apart my bolt for sure, just order the tools from Sinclair. Thanks all.
Unread 01-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

What did hornady end up doing? Is this just rifle ammunition related or is it pistol ammunition related as well?