Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

practice calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

CINOSBUS:

The front ring looks like it's approx. .023" shorter than the rear. He might have machined them both, because I can't see any gap between any portion of the rings and the scope tube. Dovetailed receiver, so no base to machine.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

AJ,

Do you have that savage bedded in the Joel stock? It sure sounds like a versatile rig. Almost have me talked into it, but I really want to start my custom build. I don't think the wife will let me pay for both at the same time!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Does any one have a stevens semi custom build that they would be willing to post pictures of. Has anyone reworked the original stevens stock (ie arrow shafts in front channel etc.) to stiffen it up? How did it work, and is it worth it to get a guy by for about a year?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
AJ,

Do you have that savage bedded in the Joel stock? It sure sounds like a versatile rig. Almost have me talked into it, but I really want to start my custom build. I don't think the wife will let me pay for both at the same time!

I bedded the action and recoil lug only. The barrel nut and barrel are free floated (so I can swap barrels without worry about the fit). I opened the channel up for the 338-300RUM barrel as it is a bit heavier than the savage barrel. I'll post pics in a week or 2 (when Shawn gets the brake fitted and shipped back).

It's a very versatile rig. As I stated in an earlier post, I'd like to get a 223 barrel and boltface for this rifle. I'd get a nice heavy 20-22" barrel and really have a handy little rifle for practice and prairie dogs etc.

AJ

ps: regarding your question on stiffening up a savage/stevens stock. I looked into it and it's a lot of work for very little improvement. A lot of the flex is around the action/magazine area (where you can't really add material). There is a good savage forum that has a lot of info on this subject.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives