Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

practice calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINOSBUS View Post
Which action is this? The Mark II?

Who re-barrelled it for you?
Correct, I threw a 28" 1:9 twist Lilja barrel on it, Sam from Wildcat Traders did the work. He bedded the barrel, replaced the bottom metal, added a recoil lug, Parkerized it, and fiddled with the rings so I can sight in @ 50 Yds and click all the way out to 200 Yds with a Bushnell Elite 3200 10 x 40 Tactical scope. I threw on a Harris tripod so I can practice prone.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

AJ Peacock, I don't get jealous often but dude you are killing me. Love the rifles. I was thinking of getting a savage 12 fvss in the 300 wsm and kind of doing what you have done with yours. In the picture the savage looks like it has the stock barrel, if it does, how does that baby shoot? If you don't mind saying so, how much was the stock? One day I am going to get ahold of Joel myself. Have you accurized the savage in any other way? I just have to say it again, awesome rigs!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esshup View Post
Correct, I threw a 28" 1:9 twist Lilja barrel on it, Sam from Wildcat Traders did the work. He bedded the barrel, replaced the bottom metal, added a recoil lug, Parkerized it, and fiddled with the rings so I can sight in @ 50 Yds and click all the way out to 200 Yds with a Bushnell Elite 3200 10 x 40 Tactical scope. I threw on a Harris tripod so I can practice prone.
Do you know what he did with the rings? I assum he made it like a 20moa base, etc. Do you know how he did it?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Gold Member

No, but I'll measure them when I get home.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
AJ Peacock, I don't get jealous often but dude you are killing me. Love the rifles. I was thinking of getting a savage 12 fvss in the 300 wsm and kind of doing what you have done with yours. In the picture the savage looks like it has the stock barrel, if it does, how does that baby shoot? If you don't mind saying so, how much was the stock? One day I am going to get ahold of Joel myself. Have you accurized the savage in any other way? I just have to say it again, awesome rigs!
Thanks,

The 300WSM barrel (the original savage barrel) shoots really well. I shot a a few groups under 1/2" with it and the original stock, but that stock has so much flex, it was a challenge to hold it the same every time. With the heavier stock, it is easy to shoot 1/2" groups and I get down under .3" center to center once in a while. To tell you the truth, .3" is probably MY limitation, not the rifles.

I don't remember how much the stock was.

The only accurizing I've done is replaced the crappy recoil lug with one from savage shooters supply and correctly headspaced the barrel. I had a friend of mine face the boltface, as it was a bit cupped and made the brass look like there was pressure signs.

I've been debating about getting a .223 barrel and boltface for the savage, then I'd have a really cheap practice round.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Last edited by AJ Peacock; 08-07-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
The 300WSM barrel (the original savage barrel) shoots really well. I shot a a few groups under 1/2" with it and the original stock, but that stock has so much flex, it was a challenge to hold it the same every time. With the heavier stock, it is easy to shoot 1/2" groups and I get down under .3" center to center once in a while. To tell you the truth, .3" is probably MY limitation, not the rifles.
Hello AJ,

If you dont mind my asking, what is your load for your 300 WSM I have a Savage 12 BVSS that I wanted to do some load work for but have been slacking lately and this post just put the fire under me again.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat338 View Post
Hello AJ,

If you dont mind my asking, what is your load for your 300 WSM I have a Savage 12 BVSS that I wanted to do some load work for but have been slacking lately and this post just put the fire under me again.

Thanks,

Dave
Sure, Overbore got me started with some recommendations (and they were spot on!). I'll paraphrase his advice to me (all of which I have proven correct).

He recomends 2 powders.
For 175gr bullets and above he uses H4350
For under 175gr bullets he uses Varget.

He recommends a mild primer with Varget (CCI BR2's)

I found (as he later confirmed) that CCI BR2's are not to be used in COLD weather, as they are too mild to give good/consistent ignition. I found this out in temperatures from 20 degrees F and colder. Overbore recommended Federal 210GM for cold weather loads (not the 215's).

My best loads are as follows.

Load #1)
Norma Brass, 165gr Hornady boat tail spire point (#3045), CCI-BR2 primer, 60gr Varget powder. I have these loaded for a minimal jump to the lands and they will consistently print .3" CTC or better. I don't know what the velocity is (I've never remembered to shoot them when I had the chrono set up). This would be a GREAT deer load, as the bullets are REALLY cheap and super accurate. Velocity is probably around 3000fps from a 26" barrel.

Load #2)
Norma Brass, 200gr Nosler Accubond, CCI-BR2 primer, 62gr H4350, Loaded for minimal jump to lands. Shoots consistently at or under 1/2" at 100yds.
Average velocity is 2844fps from a 26" barrel, with extreme spread of 24fps for 10 shots at 80 degrees outside temperature.
I also loaded from 60gr-62gr this winter with Rem 9 1/2 primers and it shot very well in the cold weather. I believe the Rem 9 1/2 primers are the next step hotter above the CCI-BR2's.

Load #2 is getting up in pressure a bit, so please work up to these loads yourself in your particular rifle.

Hope this helps.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives