Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Practice with .22 lr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2002, 07:01 PM

Re: Practice with .22 lr

I love this topic.
I shoot a lot at 200 yards. I can hit 2.5" targets consistently after a windage shot.
1" targets at 150 yards. The 2.5" target is a kill zone on a rabbit. The 1" is a squirrel.
I once hit a soda can at 350 after a windage shot.That was the only time I have shot at that distance.
I just set up a 400 yard range so I don't have a lot of experience at that distance yet. I do know it is 64 minutes of drop. I took a few shots off hand in high wind and came pretty close to a milk jug.One shot missed by about 6 inches.A bench will make all tha difference. I don't think the milk jug will be that difficult to hit in good conditions.
I shoot a customized Ruger 1022T with Eley HVHP ammo and a Shepherd scope which has hold over marks to 500 yards.
Good shooting.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:27 PM

A couple days ago I hit a milk jug at 400 yards, today I got a Coca-cola can.If the wind would ever stop blowing I could see how consistent I am.
Old 03-24-2002, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Sorry guys I've been extremly busy lately and havent been able to get on a computer.No the RUGER isnt stock it.I put a Houge stock,Butler creek barrel and new trigger unit on it.I normaly use either Elay or agille ammo.
I agree with Boyd though use the big guns to learn to shoot long,the 22s are really just for fun.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:03 PM

Big Hunter, I think you stole my gun!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I too have a Marlin (bolt action in an 06'with Bushnel scope) Too funny... I dont know about ammo, I load my own. With mine, I can hit a golfball at 200 yards. Come to think of it, I havent shot commercial rounds for 2 years. May have to try a box just for kicks!
SEALSNIPER, I see that you shoot using a Tasco Tactical. I am currently looking into one and would appreciate your opinion.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:18 PM

What yardage is the drop of a 22lr equal to a 308 175gr Gold Medal match at 1000 yards. Also at what yardages do the 408 Cheytac or 50 BMG (Lost River Ballistics bullets) match the drop of the aforementioned 308?

Inquiring minds want to know! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Writers Guild

From shooting small bore silhouette and also plinking at long range with a 22LR, I would suggest trying subsonic match ammo. I use Eley Standard/Target. Any of the match brands including Eley, Federal, Lapua, RWS can work. Each company carries so many different versions that it would be impossible to say what will work in your rifle.

Just like handloading, different types and brands must be tried to find the "load" that shoots in your rifle. It doesn't have to be the most expensive, just consistent which the Wal mart specials aren't. Expect to get 5rds into an inch or so at 100yds with the right ammo. Inconsistent ammo will show up as flyers usually as much lower shots.

I have successfully used rifles made by Bruno/CZ and the Norinco clones. Anschutz (or CIL copies), Kimbers, and rebarreled 10/22 will also work. Many have had success with domestic bolt guns from the 50's and 60's as well (Mossberg 144, and Remington 500 series). You need a decent trigger and a lot of time testing ammo.

Scopes with lots of adjustment or shimmed bases will be needed as well.

Once you get a combo that works at 100yds, you will be amazed at how far you can shoot. The limiting factor is elevation and your ability to see the impact. Friend shot at a target at over 600yds and came real close to connecting. The shots were spotted and elevation added till the target was almost hit. Impact was close enough to make it leave in a hurry. Zero wind that day.

Good luck..

Jerry

PS I own two Tasco Tactical Sniper scopes. The 10X has pretty decent optics and works very well. The 20X has pretty lousy optics but works equally as well. I have heard that the 16X also has good optics. For the money, there isn't a scope on the market with the amount of adjustment. The closest you will get is the Leupold 16X long range, night Force, or European scopes at much more money.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:33 PM
Bronze Member

We do a lot of .22 rimfire shooting here because most of the farms we shot gophers at are too small for big centrefires.

Rifles are usually heavy barreled target versions like Anschutz etc.

Gophers are about 2.5" wide and 6-9" tall. I have made hits out to 200 yds and a whole lot of hits to about 150 yds. Last week I made a laser ranged hit at 170yds. Gophers are difficult targets because they are always moving.

For optics we use the 3-9x40 Tasco Worldclass with MIL Dot reticle. Because we shoot in a target rich environment it would be too slow to click up for each shot and the turret would probably wear out after a few months of this sort of abuse. So we use the MIL Dots for holdovers. From a 50yd zero 5 mils holdover can take you out to about 200 yds or so. To go any further you will need to click up.

Peter Cronhelm