Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Practice with .22 lr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2002, 10:37 PM

Practice with .22 lr

I have read over on the 24 hour campfire how many of you practice with a .22 long rifle to about 400 yards or so as practice for big game.
I am wondering what equipment you use, how heavy the rifles are, and what loads you use for that purpose. Also, do you use live targets out at that range or just paper?
Also, I have a Marlin bolt action rifle with a Buschnell 3-9x32 scope. Are the clicks repeatable enough on it to put it to use at longer ranges? What ammunition should I use for accuracy at 100+ yards? While this probably isn't as sophisticated a rig as you guys have, how far do you think it could be accurate? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Practice with .22 lr

Hi Big Hunter...And welcome...To answer the first part of your ?.I have found shooting a 22 is a good way to learn trigger control.I however don't know of anybody shooting them out to 400 yard's.I do shoot mine to 100 yard's sometime's.I have also taken groundhog's at just shy of 100 yard's with one.The 22 I use is a Marlin 25n with a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44...Does your scope have target knob's?...The gun's I use to practice at long range are the gun's I use in deer season.22's are fun to shoot.And they will help you for when you get out the BIG STUFF.If you have any other ?'s throw me an e-mail.Where are you at in Pa???
Old 03-09-2002, 12:53 AM

Well, I don't believe they have target knobs, but 1/4 MOA clicks that are audible as well as visible. I usually put it an inch high at 50 yards, and can screw around with it at 100 yards some, even a bit farther. One day, I was consistently popping balloons at 150 once I got elevation right, but I was using holdover, not the knobs.
I don't know who it was, but I'm thinking somebody over there posted something about taking a .22 that far, don't know who it was though. I sure hope I didn't misread anybody.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

That would be me.

We shoot 300 to 400yds,alot.Use a Norinco with tasco tactical,my target 10/22 with Leupold 6-18 target,and an old Mossberg target rifle.THE ONLY WAY TO SHOOT THAT FAR IS TO CLICK.There is no way to be accurate holding over.I dont think your scope will track good enough either.The best way to do it is shoot at a gong,and have a spotter with a powerful spotting scope.You dont have to have a spotter,though you better look REAL close as you probably wont be able to hear them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2002, 01:55 PM

Thanks SealSniper. I was wondering about the scope as well; I'm not sure about it. I guess the best way to find out before hand is to zero it at 50, then do what those gun writers do.
Move it 16 to 24 clicks (2-3 inches) in each direction and shoot a group, then move it back. I guess if the last group is on the first one, I'm alright. I guess that would give me an idea if it is or not. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:05 PM

SealSniper: I'm hopping over from the Campfire site too. Do I read you right that you are using a plain old regular 10/22 to put a 22LR to hit at 400 yards?

Ok I'm really intrigued.

(I wanna do it! I wanna do it!)
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What ammo are you using? What kind of drop does it have at that range?

It would be worth buying a 10/22 just to do this with!

If you want to zap me an email at mssgn@hotmail.com I'll get it quicker than checking here. Thanks, Mike.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:42 PM

SealSniper, I would appreciate an email as well. I do wanna try this, cuz it sounds like fun. He he he, bustin clay pigeons at 200 yards, wee!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]