Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Portable targets for practice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Portable targets for practice?

Heres mine made out of scrap 2x4's.. For shooting I staple chicken wire across it to clip the targets to with clothes pins. As seen here I have a pc of truck bedmat on it for use as a backstop for my bow targets, you know, incase I let one fly practicing those longer shots.( I have another pc of mat that drapes over the top of it, but it makes it hard to carry so I dont staple it on there).

Old 01-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Hey, I have a jeep wrangler so space is limmited for hauling stuff to shoot long range. My setup includes few things. 1) 2'x4' piece of 1/2'' plywood painted white, with 2 shoot-n-see sticky backed targets pre stuck on and double secured with 2 thumbtacs 2) Three concrete stakes/form stakes 3) a 4 lb hammer.

pound 2 stakes in about 16'' apart. stand plywood against first two stakes and pound in your third stake in behind. All done.
Works awesome on uneven ground with form stakes, just level up the plywood and bang a nail thru one of the holes to secure it.

If I take a shooting table, I throw in another piece of plywood and 2 colapsable saw horses. Home Depot and Lowes both carry 2'x4' precut pcs if you dant have your own saw.
I like the political sign whackin idea!!
good luck

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 01-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Like MontanaRifleman I like cardboard boxes, the bigger the better (applience boxes work great!). They can be folded flat for transporting and set up with rocks or dirt in the bottom to keep the wind from blowing them away. Tape the paper targets to them and/or just tape over the holes.
The regs are there to help keep the riff-raff from bringing out old apliences and computers to use as targets.....For some reason they forget to haul them back out with them????