Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Portable shooting/hunting bench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2003, 07:12 AM
Silver Member

Re: Portable shooting/hunting bench

I believe Bounty Hunter is right about the couplers being welded on 1/4" plate attached across the front and rear of table, there is no flex.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Nice bench Chris. Don't think it would be much trouble to make it with a solid front bar with both legs welded to it like BH says. The only problem I see, you mounted the legs to the wrong side of the table! Think I'll make one! Thanks again for the pic! Hey guys, why can't I just weld a 1/2" or 5/8" nut on the legs, drill a hole in it (first!), then run a bolt in it for a "stay", and use it to lock a smaller pipe, like 1" to be used to level the legs. Sounds good.

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: littletoes ]
Old 02-03-2003, 10:31 AM

I'm sure that a piece of flat 1/4" metal would make YOU feel better, but I'm not sure it would help the bench any. This bench is made with a 1.5" laminated Oak top, and doesn't flex at all. There will be more flex in the extendable legs than in the top. I have killed PD's in excess of 1000 yds with a bench just like this one and believe me, they are rock solid. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

agree with you except we had some boys that liked to "lean" on em. The top was never the problem, ours are very similar to your model. Just found the plate made the legs for rigid feeling and less apt to wobble. We just made a plate about 6 x 24" and welded the couples onto them and then screwed the legs in. Just something for anyone else to think about IF they think their's is a little wobbly.

Good Luck

BH
Old 02-03-2003, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

I think you both have some good points! Maybe you'll think this is funny, have a friend that made his out of 1/2" steel plate. It doesn't flex at all! I don't think its very portable, though.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:23 AM

I can see where the flat plate might help the legs feel a little more sturdy, as the front two(and rear two) would be tied together and would move as one. Mine is rock solid right now, I guess if tries to get wobbly with me down the road, I could always try tying the leg plates together with some flat plate and give it more surface area to bear on.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Bronze Member

Littletoes,
you have mail.
RedMan*