Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Portable Shooting Bench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 10:23 AM

Portable Shooting Bench

I have a location on my Pennsylvania farm that is suitable for 600 yd. shooting, but don't want to go with a permenent shooting bench. Who do you feel builds the best portable shooting bench from the standpoint of stability? I am interested in load development and serious practice. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Portable Shooting Bench

A fellow by the name of Jim Berfield 570-748-2055 in Loch Haven, PA makes a great portable shooting bench. The bench is really designed for long range hunting but it is solid and nice to shoot off of. He incorporates a dandy rest into the design. I like to shoot standing up so even with the legs fully extended it is solid. Jim is also one of the nicest people you will meet. Hope this helps. Sam.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

I use both heavy and light portable shooting benches to make longrange groundhog kills in PA. Without a doubt, the heavy bench is MUCH better for shooting.

No need to buy a bench because they are very easy to build. My heavy bench has a double 3/4" plywood top, 3 cast iron plumbing flanges on the bottom to accept legs and threaded pipe legs of appropiate length.

You can get fancy and angle the flanges out a bit for additional stability and design a bracket for the bottom which holds the legs when the table is taken down. You can also fashion adjustable length legs by using a smaller diameter pipe inside a larger diameter pipe and use a set bolt to lock them at any length. This really helps when the table is on uneven ground.

I painted the whole set green so that it is not obvious when I leave it afield when taking a break.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Check out COYOTE JAKES benches. Very steady and stable, sets up in a couple of minutes. Light enough to carry by yourself.
Highly recomment this bench, have used a lot of portable styles, commercial and homebuilt but like the Coyote Jakes the best. He has a website, think it is www.coyotejakes.com
Old 09-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Yea, what Sam said...

Where at in PA???? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

JB
Old 10-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

Hey Sam,
Do ya got any pics of this bench your referring to?

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 10-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Sam,
Do ya got any pics of this bench your referring to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Berfield's Bench:
[image][/image]

JB