Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Please help first setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM

Please help first setup

ok so I have been hunting a few years now with a rifle I purchased already setup and have never had to touch except a few clicks on the scope.

I wanted to start shooting bigger game at longer distance so I went out and bought a brand new remington 700sps chambered in .300 winmag. It came with a cheap scope installed from factory. I have been to the range 2x with it and cannot get it to shoot correctly.

The problem is that the scope moves in the rings apparently from the recoil. I mean it moves 1/2 inch or more, until the zoom hits the rear ring. Now I purchased this setup fully understanding that I was going to take that scope/mounting setup and get rid of it. But I would really like to at least get a few shots downrange to make sure I am comfortable with the weapon before I make that investment.

Is there anything I might do to fix this so I can get at least a few shots on paper, maybe hunt this season? I have been told to try lapping the rings. I am not sure the rings are the problem. I have also been told to put a brake on the gun to help reduce recoil..

Please help..
THanks
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Please help first setup

Sounds like those rings are REALLY loose. Lapping will not solve this. I am assuming you checked the rings and the screws are torqued properly. If you are ultimately going to pitch the optics set-up, you can try removing the scope and shimming it with some friction tape. Or, send that flawed set-up back to Big Green and have them fix their issue. Cheap or not it should function properly.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

the scope should not move at all if it is installed properly
Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Gold Member

What part is moving, the bases or the rings? Your base might not be screwed in tight as well. I would take the scope and rings off, tighten the bases, then remount the rings and scope. If you are not familiar with how to mount a scope, either do some searching on here or take it to a gun shop and pay them $15 to do it (or take it back to the store you bought it from and make them do it for free).