Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Plan my budget gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Gold Member

Re: Plan my budget gun

Stepping out on a limb here. I believe this question has been asked many times on this site. Stepping out on a limb here, I believe the general consensus for best glass under $1000 is any one of the following: Leupold VX-3 series, Vortex Viper series, Sightron SIII. Behind them, but still an excellent buy for what you get: Bushnell Elite and SuperSniper. With the first three, quality of glass is quite good and turret function seems to be repeatable. With the last two: glass is not quite as good, but turrets seem to function well. Now I understand that quality of glass is subjective and some like one better than the others, but it is hard to go wrong with any of the first three mentioned.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
Stepping out on a limb here. I believe this question has been asked many times on this site. Stepping out on a limb here, I believe the general consensus for best glass under $1000 is any one of the following: Leupold VX-3 series, Vortex Viper series, Sightron SIII. Behind them, but still an excellent buy for what you get: Bushnell Elite and SuperSniper. With the first three, quality of glass is quite good and turret function seems to be repeatable. With the last two: glass is not quite as good, but turrets seem to function well. Now I understand that quality of glass is subjective and some like one better than the others, but it is hard to go wrong with any of the first three mentioned.
If your comparing vortex to the SIII you better be looking at the Viper PST
Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Gold Member

Yes, I meant the PST and possibly the HS as well.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 AM

OK, I went with the Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 bdc in Evolution rings and 20 moa base. After a long slow 40 rd breakin I zeroed at 200 and shot two 3 shot groups at 100 yds. 1st was .890" and second was .805". I let the thin factory barrel cool about two minutes between shots and 10 minutes between group. This is with Hornady factory loads , 165 gr SST's. (the only thing my local shop had enough of). I really do not care much for the new trigger in these 700's. My old Browning a-bolt trigger is much cleaner to me. Will probably go with a Jewel? Thought or opinions?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Gold Member

Sounds like you are on the right track. Trigger upgrade, and a stock upgrade w/bed job would be a couple of inexpensive (relative term) things to pursue in your effort to further shrink your groups. If you are holding to a tight budget, have patience as these items pop up for sale used from time to time on various sites.

Research your triggers well, as some may not be compatible with the newer X-Pro trigger guns. An example would be the Kepplinger single set trigger. This is a sweet trigger that could swap right out with the older Rem trigger. In speaking with a gunsmith recently, I learned that is no longer the case with the X-Pro. Timneys do well, but most prefer the Jewel.

After these upgrades, it is on to reloading. From there, the downhill spiral gets so steep and you can't get back out. You're addicted.

One more thought with the thinner contoured barrels on the SPS: Take a look at buying a SIMS Barrel Deresonator.

Cabela's: Sims LimbSaver® Barrel De-Resonator

I use them on all my rifles. These little gadgets helped close up my groups about .10 to .25 MOA on some of my rifles. On others, they had little to no effect at all. But for $10 + s/h, it's a cheap experiment. Keep us informed on how you are progressing.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks azsugarbear, I will get the barrel de-resonator coming. As of now, I don't reload. Mostly due to time, but I will get to that soon. The stock on the SPS is sort of...flimsy? Not sure if its worth having it bedded or just look at another stock option. So far, with only "bolt on" stuff, the rifle seems to shoot as well as I'd hoped.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Gold Member

Rather than wasting time and $$ on bedding the SPS stock I would check the classifieds on this site, someone is always wanting to sell a sendero take off, and you can pick one up for cheap.There have been two for sale in the last few days. I bought one for $125 put on a sps 223 made a big difference of course the Jewel trigger I put on didn't hurt either. Do a little at a time as funds are available. JMO