Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Pillar intallation on a Browing A-Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 05:55 PM

Re: Pillar intallation on a Browing A-Bolt

Thanks for the advices Jon A. I ordered myself a pilot bit from Brownells and waiting to receive it to begin the project. I have the pillars and the bedding compound.

I know that it might cost me about half the price of getting it done by McMillan (160.00 $)but I would have to sent my gun and the stock accross the border and it is too much trouble. I like better to do the job myself and having the satisfaction of doing a good job just like you did. It is Priceless...

The area that I am still not sure if it needs bedding is the area of the action between the magazine and the trigger assembly. I am sorry that I did not explain myself correctly and you thought I was talking about the area against the trigger plate. Nevertheless these comments were also very valuable.

Thanks again for you input.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member

OK, so you're basically wondering if you need to bed the whole action vs. just the front and the rear. To tell you the truth, I doubt if it matters all that much one way or the other. I elected not to do it. Not only was it easier but I felt there was less chance of stock flexing messing things up when the screws are torqued but I very well may be all wet there. I know some strive for the action completely resting on only the pillars for similar reasons but there are more ways to skin a cat I guess.

A guy posted pics of his McMillan job HERE and it looks like they did the whole thing...but you never know where they put some tape to make gaps. It also looks like they made life easier by using smaller diameter pillars. But those pics should give you something else to look at. I'm still working on resizing and uploading a bunch more of my own if you'll bear with me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2006, 07:25 PM

Thanks Jon A, I guess I will do it the way you did. My pillars look to be the same as McMillan's. As you did, I will face the front pillar to leave more bedding between it and the recoil lug.

You sure did a better job than McMillan.

Thanks for all the help. : [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2006, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks. But had I been charging myself my hourly rate for all the time I spent doing this...that would have been one big bill! I honestly don't know how McMillan and other good Smiths can do as good a job as they do for the prices they charge. I know if I tried to do it for a living I'd go broke!

Anyway, here are some more pics. Sorry it took so long and I really thought I had more...well I did have more--just not many that were any good. Here's the rest:

Old 05-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Now that I've got the new tube, the next stage is complete for better or worse:

Sorry that's sort of out of focus, but I was sick of the camera by that time. As you can see, I ended up skimming over the pillar this time.

Just learning as I go....
Old 05-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Jon A , thats a hell of a good job , you should be proud of that job , its alot better than alot I've seen done by "smiths" that chargerd $150+
But like you said ,you took your time and did a good job , I think that guys that are trying to make a living doing it just do a fast job. typicaly they work but look kinda shabby
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 PM

I apologize that I am posting in an old thread but this is really one of the few posts I have found about bedding an A-Bolt. Anyway, I am planning on doing my first pillar bedding job on an aftermarket stock and I have a few questions if someone could help me with;

Did you notice a substantial increase in accuracy?

Is there any model-specific pillars I have to use for the A-Bolt or can any type work? (I know, stupid question)

Is torque that big of a deal as I have been hearing? Can I expect a noticable difference in accuracy if I dont tighten the action screws to the same torque?

Should I bed the entire action or just around the front of the action and around the tang area?

Thanks in advance for helping me out!!