Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Pillar bedding pros & cons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Pillar bedding pros & cons

First off we can just stop that "Mr. Allen" stuff right now. Kirby is what you can call me, no need to be formal here.

Second, I would bet your friend has some 6061 aluminum which will work fine. Most aluminum is heat treated to some degree and for conventional rifles works very well for bedding. Course Stainless is overkill but that is never a bad thing when talking about bedding rigidity. Either one will serve you well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Ahh, I was really hoping for some names of "top competitors". Oh well, guess there weren't any. Imagine that.

Don't get sour Bart just 'cause a couple young bucks called your b.s. And yes, uncle B and I are blood and I'm proud to say so. I don't know if we're stars but if we are, distance never bothered us!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
SNIP

I only recommend it in a case with an extremely heavy, long barrel.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Was any consideration given to barrel bedding, and floating the action on such a massive barrel?

Thanks,

edge.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Edge,

When I designed the rifle before I started ordering my parts, I did alot of talking with Bruce Thome at BAT and Dan Lilja. Bruce flat out said a properly pillar bedded 10" BAT receiver would handle that barrel length and weight even free floated.

Dan agreed with him so while I was abit concerned I have long ago learned to trust the opinions of these two men.

There was not much risk involved, had it not worked, I would have just inletted the stock for my Barrel Bedding V-Block system and there would have been no issues but from the looks of things, there is no need to consider this modification.

First range test at 1500 yards produced a four shot group that measured 7.5" so I was very happy and totally forgot about any V-Block or any additional bedding work to the rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks, Can't argue with success [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edge.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

FWIW, the American Gunsmithing Institute sells a video about pillar bedding featuring Daryl Holland. It's very informative and his methid does work.