Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Pillar bedding pros & cons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Bronze Member

Pillar bedding pros & cons

Hi all,
A friend is in the process of manufacturing a fibreglass reinforced stock for me. He has made several of these stocks before, using a blank to make the outer shell and then casting the action directly into it, using a suitable release agent.I'm not going to go into all the technical details here, suffice to say that he has a lot of happy customers who are using this "custom stock"
I want to add pillar bedding to this stock, but have heard some comments about pillars never mating up perfectly with the underside of the action, thus negating the whole accurate casting/bedding tecnique.
Any comments about the pro's and cons of pillar bedding please?
Old 05-11-2006, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Pillar bedding pros & cons

Conventional epoxy bedding tends to apply pressure to a larger area around the receiver than just part of the tops of bedded pillars do.

The most accurate rifles I know of are conventionally bedded. I'm not referring to those that have once or twice in their barrel's lifetime shot 5 or 10 shots into some record-breaking group. Instead, it's those rifles that shoot a string of 20 or more consecutive shots into very small groups.

There's one exception; round receivers barreled for cartridges shooting fast bullets heavier than about 160 grains. There's enough torque on the receiver as the bullet accelerates down the barrel to often work the receiver a bit loose from its epoxy bedding. Sometimes pillar bedding helps keep the receiver in place. But I'd rather glue that round receiver in a square-bottom sleeve, then conventionally bed it.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Gold Member

THOMAST,
If a pillar bedding job is done correctly by someone who really knows what they are doing there is only pros and no cons.
UB
Old 05-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would agree with UncleB on his comments. If done properly a pillar bedding system offers the best of both worlds, total stress free bedding with a non compressible, uneffected by environmental changes bedding system. That can not be said for a skim bedded or glued in bedding system only, especially in a wood stock.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-12-2006, 05:10 PM

Thomast, I'm with Uncle B and kirby on this one . No down side if they're installed correctly. ---7mmrhb
Old 05-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

ANother vote with 7rhb, uncle b, and fifty driver.

Back in the day, not much was known about how to properly pillar and glass an action, especially in the new (then) composite stocks coming out. But now, it has been proven time and time again in tens of thousands of high dollar rifles that it it THE way to go if done by someone who knows what they are doing. The fact that someone would try and steer you away from a good pillar job boggles the mind!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:37 AM
Gold Member

You can take what Kirby, and the others say, to the bank. Every top competitor, that I know and build rifles for, are using pillars on their "bolt in" rifles.