Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Pillar Bedding and Glass Bedding a Savage 111 w/ Boyds Lam Stock: Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Pillar Bedding and Glass Bedding a Savage 111 w/ Boyds Lam Stock: Questions

I've done 2 Savage centerfires and a Marlin Rimfire bolt action that has to be done much the same way.
My favorite pillar material is 1/4" brass pipe nipples, they are easy to machine to length in a case trimmer, they are easy to cut with a dremel tool and they can be bought very close in length to what I need. Typically I will run a 1/2 NC die down the outside of the pipe nipple to give the bedding material something more to grab to. I will bed them in place both front and back then cut a notch out of the rear pillar with a dremel and cutoff wheel.

First off float your barrel and use semi-hardening putty and place pads in the barrel channel and torque the action into the stock. These pads will now be used to index the height of the action throughout the duration of the bedding process (remove once pillars are bedded in place.).
To start the whole process on the Savage I will bed the trigger guard first, then once bedding has hardened I will cut my pipe to fit from the action as flush as possible with where the trigger guard will sit. By doing this I can (A) use the trigger guard as an index front-rear to set the action in and (B) keep it squared/plumb/non canted with the stock and (C) before bedding the rear pillar in place prep the hole for the front one, tighten that pillar onto the action and drop it in thus bedding both pillars at the same time. (this will require 1 1/2-28 screw about 4" long with the head cut off so that it will slide through the trigger guard. Use surgical tubing/wire ties/pressure clamps to secure rear of action down.

After that is cured dress up spillage then use a dremel to cut out the remaining wood and bed the action. This can actually be done at the same time as the pillars but doens't have to be done at the same time.

I like Brownell's Steelbed myself, but acraglass is a god bedding epoxy.

If my thoughts aren't clearer than mud look up 'John Burns accurizing the factory rifle'
Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 AM

I am very new to working of rifle. I am planning on buy the material to puller bed and glass bed the action of my Savage 116 7mm. I know this rifle I a shooter, because it has shot a 3/8 of an inch group before but not consistently. I am wanting to bed it to help with the consistency issue. Now as for the help I need, I would appreciate it if someone can give me a list of supplies that I need to do both puller bed and the glass bedding for this rifle. I know there have been several people talk about this and that but I have a habit of o we looking things or forgetting. I understand that their has been several people use pipe nipples but I don't feel comfortable using pipe for the first attempt. I know with any job there are some other materials or tools that can be purchased to help with the job but I would rather not get started working on the stock and realize there is a tool or technique that would make the process easier or more efficient. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Bronze Member

A dremel tool and a fine blade razor knife (Exacto knife) and Johnson's floor paste wax are three of the handiest items needed to do a bedding job.
Pillars can also be poured, literally the epoxy can be the pillar.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:55 PM

I am actually looking to use aluminum to piller bed the stock. I have looked at the puller bedding materials at midway usa and brownels, but I am not sure which one I should get for my Savage 116. There are some other that say they are for the rem 700 but none that say anything about a savage.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Bronze Member

The front pillar is easy as there is nothing to work around. The rear pillar you have to notch out the pillar to work around the forward portion of the trigger group. I use brass because I don't have a lathe but I can trim it to length with a flat face with my case trimmer and notch it out easily with a dremel and cutoff tool.