Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Pillar Bedding and Glass Bedding a Savage 111 w/ Boyds Lam Stock: Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Pillar Bedding and Glass Bedding a Savage 111 w/ Boyds Lam Stock: Questions

Hey guys/gals. Long time readers first time poster. I have a Wal-Mart Savage with Accutrigger in 30.06, and its a tack driver with a sporter barrel(why bed it then? I'm looking for a fun project). I've actually bedded it in the tupperware stock it came in, twice(my only 2 bedding experiences) and the 2nd time I thought I did a pretty good job(for a DIY hobbyist). That said, I believe its time to move to a better stock. I'm pretty good with woodcraft, and ordered a Boyd's Laminate stock because it looked pretty, was cheap, and if what I know of plywood holds true to gunstocks, will probably be very strong.

I've been following this guide:

Stress-Free Pillar Bedding

I've found it to be a very detailed and excellent guide but there are some questions I have, because this guide recommends doing things a little differently than I've done before.

1. The guide recommends devcon. I've used acraglass gel. Acraglass is mentioned in the article, saying something like "I would never use it for bedding" but it doesn't say why. I have 40 bucks worth of the stuff and don't look forward to buying 50 bucks worth of devcon unnecessarily. Is there really anything wrong with using Acraglas for this? Boyds sells it with their stocks so I figured that was the standard(also what I used before and am practiced with). Any thoughts?

2. This savage is a pain to bed because you gotta float the tang. How would you do this? I was thinking that I bed the rifle and tape the barrel but also tape the tang, have the two tape points be the only points touching, then once finished, remove tape, have clearance on the tang and the barrel. As there any potential issue with this?

3. I'm pillar bedding for the first time, and of course, this savage is non-uniform. It requires a small dimple in the rear pillar to accommodate the trigger sear section. I don't have a lathe, workable aluminum stock, or machinist experience. I ordered a kit for this, actually, off ebay with the pillars pre-made. My expectation, however, is that the pillars will be too short for the larger boyds stock. Is this a deal breaker or could I also bed the trigger guard to the pillar and build up using epoxy?

4. I'm leaning towards following the guide and bedding the action and the pillars at the same time. I figure this will improve the cohesiveness of the job and save time, and I don't see a downside to it, but I'm no gunsmith. Is there a downside and/or upside to doing these two operations at one time?

Sorry about the long read, I appreciate your time. I'll post pics of this if I don't totally botch it.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pillar Bedding and Glass Bedding a Savage 111 w/ Boyds Lam Stock: Questions

Arcaglass will work fine if you already have it. Your #2 is spot on how you should bed it. Do the pillars just as shown in the video, however I like this video better for showing everything clearly.
. Do it as this fella did (even though he's doing a Remmy) and you will be fine.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:33 PM

This past august I finished a stevens 200 build in 7mm rem mag. It has a boyds featherweight thumbhole stock that I pillar bedded and glass bedded. I also followed Richard's instructions, but savages are not model 700s. I was told to notch the rear pillar, but I wanted two full pillars, so I notched the sear instead and it worked great! I also made my own pillars from plumbing nipples and I used my lee zip trim to get it to size. To float the rear tang I put two layers of electrical tape under it, so the wood was relieved and the only two areas touching the stock were on the barrel near the forearm tip and the tang. Its much easier to bed if you remove the trigger. I didn't have putty to fill all the openings so I used packing tape. Worked great.

I can post some pics if you like.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:41 PM

Some other things, I bedded the action and the pillars at the same time. Use lots of bedding material so it squishes out, use kiwi shoe polish as release agent, just a thin layer but it needs to be everywhere. I taped my action screws, to make sure they didn't touch the pillars. I only relieved the bottom of the recoil lug, do not relieve the sides, you want that sucker to be tight so the actions screws don't have to deal with the torque generated by firing the rifle.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

I've bedded a few Savages. I've also had those pillars you purchased from eBay. I actually found them too long to use, and that one had to be shortened. In addition, the notch for the sear has to be enlarged.

2. I tape the barrel to center it side-to-side as well as up-and-down. Pay attention to keep the ejection port of the action level. I then place 3 layers of tape under the tang. I make sure that the only places the barrelled action touches are these 2 locations. You'll also have the action screws "touching" if you tape them up and center them in the holes, but that's different.

I use Play-Doh as my filler of choice, with blue masking tape used where needed. I just did another Savage a week ago, so it's fresh in my mind.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM

Dr. Vette's method is a good one. When you read about our different methods remember that they are different ways of getting the same result. Packing tape, or play-doh, 2 layers of tape or 3, notching the sear or notching the pillar these are all good ways of doing the same thing. Pick one and go with it. There is no one right way to do it. I like hearing how other savage shooters bed their actions.

Don't worry if the pillar by the trigger guard is short. I purposefully made mine short and used a bit of epoxy on the guard to make it a perfect fit.

Another thing I did to centre the action in the stock while bedding. I relieved all the wood, made my two taped touching points and then I made my own stock maker screw. First bedded the trigger guard with the stock maker screw in place. A day later I bedded pillars and action in one step, the stock maker screw was not tightened, only used to centre the stock.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting. I now see that the original poster started this thread in June with his one and only post on LRH, and has never returned since he hit the "Post" button.

However, hopefully this bedding information will be of use to someone else.