Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Parts are comming together - With video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Looks good Johan.
Your smith diden't have any trouble with that trigger did he?

I little trick that I have learned with those cheap new Remmy strock os to hog out all the BS little braces in the forend and bed in a couple 1/4" titanium rod from the recoil lug to the sling stud then fill the whole forend with the bedding compound. I use 4 pieces of duct tape run long ways up the barrel from about 1" in front on the lug to a couple inches past where the stock would end this will give you around .050" gap around the barrel to free float the stock , it realy helps with stiffening the forend
Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Hi

He did not use your trigger, only a lighter spring from it and then polished the original trigger group, but it came out just as I want it :-)
Anyway, feels good to have one in spare just in case :-)

Thanks for the tip about the stock. I was to the range to day and tried it with a scope mounted for the first time. I was far to the right and a little high, when I had adjusted so I hit about where I was aiming almost all adjustment to the left was used. :-( (I shot on 80m only to day)
I have now put in the offset inserts in the Burris rings to see if that can help.
I noticed that if I torque the rear screws on the base the front part of the base tilts a little to the right showing a gap between reciver and base. So the base is in a little tension and Ill have to bed it. I just dont hope that the holes for the base are off center of the action...
I was shooting the David Tubbs final finish bullets to day so I cant say much about accuracy yet.

The DE brake was GREAT! The rifle now feels as a light Tikka M55 in .243 I had before. :-)

Here is a small video from todays shooting.
Defensive Edge Muzzle Brake
Old 01-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

My friend Blank noticed somthing strange on the video file. The barrel bends quite a bit. I have done a slow motion clip where it can bee seen clearly.
Clip

Is it normal that the barrel bends that much?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

I think that most of that is optical illusion ,like waving a pincel betewwn two fingers makes it look like rubber , BUT , yes you would be supprised how much a barrel moves. I watched some slow motion video of a barreled action being shot from a solid machine rest attached only by the action so their was very little movementother than the barrel and that thing realy wobbles especialy the thinner barrel with the bigger calibers
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Awesome.
Love that scope.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

To day the bolt got a Badger knob mounted. Feels very nice.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
Nice looking rig!

I do have one question???????????

Whats up with using those big knobs on the bolt? I have seen a number of guns with them...looks kwel! But I have yet to figure out whats the purpose of it???????