close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Over-stabilizing a bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Gold Member

Over-stabilizing a bullet?

I just finished a new build. It's a 6mm Ackley Improved with a 1-8 twist. I originaly wanted to shoot 105s and 107s but the throat is a little short so, thinking that the longer bullets would eat up some case capacity, I tried some 75 Vmax and 75 Sierra HPs. The Sierras flew incredibly well. A guy that has a similar set-up was surprised that I could get a lighter bullet like a 75 to fly so well out of such a tight twist. I know a tighter twist robs a little speed but can you over-stabilize a lighter bullet to where it ruins accuracy??
    Unread 04-12-2011, 10:18 AM
    Silver Member

Re: Over-stabilizing a bullet?

I think it will depend a lot on the light bullets construction. Light jacketed varmint bullets may come apart after leaving the barrel from too high of an RPM, due to the tight twist.

How ever I think if the bullets hold together long enough to hit say a P-dog, could be quite spectacular!

I don't think it will hurt accuracy enough to worry about.

Unread 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM
    Platinum Member

The 95 Berger has a very short bearing surface and a high BC and likes a fast twist.

Jam it to test loads and then ease it back a little.
    Unread 04-12-2011, 05:40 PM
    Platinum Member

I have a unique chance to talk with Richard Schatz quite a little. When visiting with him about fast twist light bullets he mentioned some of his friends were doing it. They turned a pdog into red mist. "They hit like Thor's hammer" he said.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
    Unread 04-12-2011, 06:41 PM
    Platinum Member

Let's just theorize that you might do a little better with your rifle and 75gr bullets if you had a little slower twist.

But, it obviously hasn't completely ruined your groups.
    Unread 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM
    Platinum Member

Even if the bullet flies true------if spinning TOO fast will upset excessively at impact causing the bullet to fail. Lead core but the copper I do not know about.
    Unread 04-13-2011, 12:02 AM
    Silver Member

My Hart barreled 8 twist 6br was set up for long range squirrel shooting with the 105 and 107's but it shoots the 75 vmax really well and is a grenade when it hits. Seems that ricochets are minimal too.