Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Almost done!!!

6.5 Creedmore. My good friend has the exact rifle in that caliber. His savage is an average 1/2 MOA shooter with hand loads for him. That is all I know about it.

He wants to upgrade the stock to see if he can do better. Myself, I'm not a fan of the accu-trigger. It doesn't do anything that a quality trigger won't do IMO.

It's a pretty tall order to expect a 1/4 MOA rifle out of the box with factory ammo, or with any ammo for that matter.

I wish you luck though, you may LOVE the Creedmore. Everyone has their preferences.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

Not sure how many "out of the box' 1k yard rifles are really out there.
1,000 yards is a loooooong way.
If you want to start with a factory rifle, I would consider what actions are best for re-barreling with a custom barrel, because you will probably end up doing this sooner rather than later.
M700 actions are probably at the top of this list.
Also, you will need an aftermarket trigger, probably Jewel will be at the top of this list for target / bench rest type shooting.
Not to mention stocks and glass bedding.
It has already been discussed about setting up for loading your own ammo.

You may want to speak to a reputable gunsmith or talk to several people who shoot 1k regular to see what they shoot and recommend.

Good Luck
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

Savage F class 6.5-284 is a true out of the box 1000 yard rifle and the price is reasonable. It is the easiest way to get into this type of shooting. No waits for parts and gun smithing needed. With proper hand loads the Savage will shoot 1/2 moa. I've won several F class matches with mine competing against full customs rigs. Top it off with a 20 moa base and a Nightforce 12-42 br (or new 15-55) and you are ready to go.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf View Post
Savage F class 6.5-284 is a true out of the box 1000 yard rifle and the price is reasonable. It is the easiest way to get into this type of shooting.

The OP has not responded to this thread since 01-02-2013............. But I 100% agree with the above statement.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 PM
Bronze Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the lack of replies. I actually started 2 threads, since I wasn't sure what forum to put them in. I forgot about this one.

We had a slight delay in the build due to taking our 5 year old to Disneyland, and in fact, just got back from that tonight!

I DO believe I have it pinned down to the 6.5 Creedmor, but am still open to other caliber options. I like the creedmor since it's not only a softer shooting gun, but relatively cheap to shoot as well!

I also have been looking at the possibility of building, or at least swapping out the chasis of the gun. I've looked into the XLR Chasis, as that seems to have a nice feature of the folding stock adapter I think would be nice for cleaning the gun WITHOUT messing up the cheek rest height. The only issue with that XLR setup is that the scope is going to need to be mounted up pretty high. Probably not a dealbreaker, but it might take a little getting used to!

Finally thanks so much for the help here. I really appreciate it. I'll be diving back into the research on this soon and hopefully will have some better, more specific questions to post!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
The best OoB rifle I have owned was a Winchester model 70 in .243. It held almost 1/4 MOA at 100. The best shooter I own was originally a weatherby vanguard 30-06. I upgraded trigger, stock and barrel. It shoots single holes at 100.

I just purchased a new remington 700 Long Range model in 7mm mag. I have not got it completely set up because it hasn't arrived yet. It's all quality components and I was pretty impressed with the unit when I handled one in Cabelas. It may turn out to be a single hole shooter as well.

As for caliber? The serious shooters use 6.5x284, 7mm mag or 6mm dashers. There is also 338 LM and 50 bmg. But I don't think you want to go that big.

Try the 700 long range, for $699.00, it is a good start at least. Save the rest for glass.

I shoot out to 1200... And honestly, I haven't seen a rifle that I haven't had to alter in some way. After you have experience, you will develop a form and a preference for your gear. A lot depends on your body shape. You may add a cheek rest or a bipod or shoot from bags.

If you really want to be an operator, you'll learn every pin and spring in that thing. Eventually, you'll reach he point that you'll know what you want out of the components.
Punisher,

Thanks for the info. After doing some research, it looks like the .243 is in the running as well. Great selection of ammo that's cheap to shoot, and great reviews on 6mmbr.com.

Looks like the only big drawback is the barrel life, or lack thereof. Definitely a possibility though!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 PM

Re: Almost done!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGlockGuy View Post
Happy New Year all!

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate all the input and experience.

I've been doing some thinking and comparing, and I think I have 2 of the 3 pieces of the puzzle done.

Caliber: I'm giong to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Like it Squirrelduster said, either a 6BR or a 6.5 will shoot a dime sized hole at 100 yards, but the 6.5 has the edge at longer distances. I think the other big thing for me is that the box ammo is so much more reasonable with the Creedmoor rounds. Getting some Hornaday Match Ammo is not just reasonable, but will give me the recipe I need for a starting point, along with some good fireformed brass for reloading later on.

Rifle: Savage Model 12 LRP. It's been echoed here many times that, box stock, these rifles are just too hard to beat in the price to accuracy ratio. They are also a good (from my limited experience and research) platform to upgrade later on down the road. It just doesn't seem like these could be a bad choice, especially since it's available in the 6.5 Creedmoor round already.

Glass: Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm . This one I'm about 95% sure about, but we'll see with some more reseach. Again, I don't think this is a bad choice, but will do some more looking to see if there is a *better* choice as far as pricepoint and quality are concerned.
I didn't read the whole thread but this is exactly what I would suggest. Best bang for buck.