Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

you may get acceptable accuracy from a savage. i would get a remington 700 action and put a krieger barrel on it and save your self some time and frustration. 6mmbr is an excellent choice.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Ok so I'm gonna have to be the guy that suggests a 6.5. Take a hard look at the 6.5 creedmoor or 260 rem. It tops the 308 ballistically at the longer ranges you are talking about. Recoil is fairly mild and at least the creedmoor you'll find some good ammo from hornady over the counter. Also the hornady load recipe is no secret so you should be able to reproduce it after you start reloading. For a strictly range gun and caliber it would be hard to find better. I believe you can even find a factory Savage in the creedmoor these days.
Romans 12:12
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
you may get acceptable accuracy from a savage. i would get a remington 700 action and put a krieger barrel on it and save your self some time and frustration. 6mmbr is an excellent choice.
And send a gunsmith about $500 extra(on top of chambering and fitting costs) to straighten that rem up too. By the time you wait for him to straighten it up and send him those checks you will have saved a ton of time and money in a universe where 2+2=17. Hey einstein said its possible to have a universe where this makes sense, not me.
Or you could do it yourself in 1/100 the time a smith needs and you can build the WHOLE GUN parts/labor for about half of what the smith will charge on a rem for labor. Sounds like a waste of money and time to me. Hmmmm.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

Pretty hard to beat Savage rifles for out of the box accuracy.

6BR is amazing. The accuracy is scary but at 1k it starts to loose its edge. Look at the 6.5x.284 for 1k accuracy you are looking for.
I have both and love my 6br for up to 500 or so yards but the 6.5 x284 is my long range deer and antelope rifle that is good for 1k.
Either one will shoot dime sized groups at 100 yards.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

i compete in target shooting f-class out to 1000 yards. i shoot against savage rifles all the time . it is a lot of fun . grin.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Dakota- the 6mmbr is easy to load for , 29 or 30 grains of varget , crunch a bullet on it . i would get a remington action, krieger barrel, several stocks would would work , a davidson single shot ramp. . staying under 1500 for the gun . pick up a 6.5-20 leup 650 and some lapua brass. ....... or get a savage( 1000) and start shooting right away.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
i compete in target shooting f-class out to 1000 yards. i shoot against savage rifles all the time . it is a lot of fun . grin.
I don't shoot competition but was wondering how the Savage rifles do in comparison to the custom stuff?