Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Oregon Trail Antelope Part 2a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
He's shooting the 7 mm AM w/200s and I'm shooting the 270 AM w/169s. Seeing as I'm one of those shoot till they drop fellas and both rifles are single shots two simultaneous shots, one from each in slightly different places in the shoulder should prove interesting. That is unless one of us gets highly embarrassed.
Better be sure it's a good sized critter or you'll probably blow the whole front end off unless he's a looong ways out there.;) There'd be less to pack out though.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

BB, I love reading your adventures, congrats on the 1000+ antelope.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:03 PM
SPONSOR

Great shooting BB,

Sounds like you and Roy will have a "blast" in Idaho with the AM's
Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Oregon Trail Antelope Part 2a

Great Shot . Ok a 115 gr Berger. What BBL? Rifling twist? What was the load? Estimated velocity? I shoot a 6x284 that I enjoy . Mine has a 10" twist. Next BBL will be a 8"twist I wonder if that will stabilize a 115 gr Berger?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

The barrel is an eight twist, 30 inches long. The load is a dumptruck full of RL22 with a velocity of about 3250 fps give or take a little. It doesn't really matter being as I always use real drops to set up my ballistics anyway. I have no chrongraph but with my methods I don't need one.

Some people cannot get the speeds I get because of bullet blowups with 8 twist barrels. I try to be very careful with the barrel and not get it hot and to keep it clean so it is not rough. I doubt that I will get a lot of barrel life from it as far as round count goes but being as I only fire it maybe 25 times a year I don't worry about round count. It will last my life time and that is all I need. I get all of my practice shooting with a 308 and leave my overbore magnums for shooting animals.

Some gunsmiths recommend a 1-10 twist barrel for cartridges such as the 6-06, 6-284, 240Wby because it is produces less jacket stress and still stabilizes the very long bullets. I would not go with a 3 groove or four groove barrel because they produce a lot of jacket stress. I would expect you can stabilize it if your barrel is smooth and doesn't blow it up.

I do not know if the 115 DTAC has been perfected yet. It had a thin jacket like the Berger and they were blowing up at about 3100 fps, so Tubbs was having them redesigned with thicker jackets. I just don't know what ever happened to the DTAC being as the Bergers do fine for me. I am not one of those people who experiment endlessly with bullets. I just find a good load and use it.

I will say another thing about the 115 Berger. I went pig hunting in Texas and decided to make a "trick" shot at 550 yards on two pigs at once. That bullet went all the way through a mature boar hog shoulders and then hit the pelvis of a mature sow and went all the way through that and exited. That's some terrific penetration given the amount of bone and tough hide it encountered.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

I don't do endless testing with bullets either. My bbl on 6x284 is a 10 Twist and it won't stabilize a 95gr Berger VLD.Target at 100 looks like a buck shot pattern. It shoots 70 to 90 gr bullets very well under 1/2 MOA and that's good enough for me. Thanks for information. What an interesting experience about the pigs and penetration at that long range.