Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Optics Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Optics Setup

I just purchased my first long range hunting rig, a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in .300 Win Mag. I'm topping it with a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50mm. I'm looking for recommendations on the best way to mount the scope. Which is preferred, a single or dual piece base? Also, I would like to keep the lowest possible profile on the scope. Any recommendations on ring height/type. Open to suggestions. Pics of similar set ups would be awesome.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Optics Setup

Hey,

The rings (single or otherwise) is mostly a matter of which you prefer. Some say the one-piece is the most sturdy, but I'm not sure.

For the heighth, that would depend on your objective and how high your base is. Here is a link where you can find your approximate heighth:
Ring Height Chart | World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

I'd leave a little extra room, especially if you have an AO scope.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Optics Setup

I have used both one piece and two piece bases and never had a problem with either one. However I use one piece bases on most of my rifles. One thing I can say for two piece bases is they do allow for easier cleaning under the scope. I have two Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50mmLRT scopes one is on a Remington 700 action and the other is on a Browning A-Bolt action and both are sitting in Leupold medium height rings with no clearance issues. Hope this helps.