Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

One piece vs two piece bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 PM

One piece vs two piece bases

Can u guys give me some input on advantages and disadvantages of one and two piece bases for use on my long range rifle. Am mounting up a IOR 2.5 to 10 on my 338 UM. Also, when do you need a base with built in MOA ?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: One piece vs two piece bases

You need the tapered base when your scope doesn't have enough adjustment to let you zero at your farthest shooting difference.

I don't mind 2 piece bases. My favorite are Burris Dual Dovetail with Burris Signature Rings.

I think they are more secure than almost any other system, protect the scope from ring marks, and a cheap way to add taper.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

I believe a one-piece base is a more rugged support system than the two-piece bases. 4 screws holding one piece securely over a span of 4-5 inches of separation, compared to 2 screws holding two separate pieces with the screws separated over a span of only 1 inch. I always go with one-piece bases in order to improve the rigidity of the scope-to-receiver mounting system.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

I agree fully with phorwath!

I"m assuming you 10# RUM has a brake installed.

If I'm correct a dual dove tail mounting system is the only way to go. I when with the rear windage system as that was what was handy when I mounted the scope.

My 338 RUM also weighs 10# w/scope. First I couldn't keep the scope from sliding in the Leupold rings. The rear ring pealed the scope like a banana. Simultaneously the scope internals began to rattle. (Cabelas Alaskan Guide).

Switched to Burris Signature rings with 20 MOA inserts. Torqued the ring screws so much that the wrench looked like it was threaded. Twisted it about one full turn. Rings have held for several years.

However, the rear windage feature failed after maybe 30 shots. Went with the dual dove tail system with Burris Signature rings w/inserts.

Things are as solid as a rock.

Just my experience.....
Old 05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Each has its advantages/disadvantages. 1 pc tends to be more ridgid and a simple ''ramp'' for added moa of elevation. But more cumbersome for loading, and unloading and cleaning your rifle, and add more wt. None of wich I see as a pro...
I only use 2 pc bases for the added room of loading and unloading. I havent had any problembs yet. But the 2 biggest hitters I have are the 300wby, and 338 win mag. I have leupold bases and rings on all my rifles from my 10/22 to the big stuff and all inbetween. with one exception, my 338 has 2 pc Burris rings and mounts (THEY WERE FREE, with the rifle. Cant beat that price). I removed a solid 1 pc base from my 300 wby and the same with my 30-06 and put on 2 pc bases because of what I see as advantages for rifle maintenence and loading.
I am not bucking what the other guys are saying. Its obvious 1 pc mounts work well for them. They gave you the pro's of 1 pc. I gave some pro's of why I like the 2 pc. system. Personal preferance thing.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

I use aluminum 1-piece bases from Seekins Precision, TPS, and EGW. Weight is a factor with some of the steel 1-piece bases for packing rifles. One-piece aluminum bases are as light 2-piece steel bases.

I also use Seekins aluminum rings to stay a step ahead with my packing rifles. And all my rifles are packing weight rifles.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

I pick my rings/bases based on what I use the rifle for. For a light weight packing rifle I like the talley one piece ring/base. Very light, and pretty solid. For a heavy rifle, or target rifle I like a rail and stong tactical style rings. Something like a Nightforce rail and rings, or a setup from Near manufacturing. Very strong, with the ability to handle more than just 2 rings if needed.

I have a 325wsm that comes in at 6.8 pounds scoped and loaded. I got free Luepold windage adjustable bases with the rifle, the adjustment screws worked loose constantly, even with blue loctite. I broke off one screw at the range. This rifle has a very sharp recoil, not that hard but pretty quick. It ate 2 Luepold ultralite scopes with the Leupold rings/bases. I switched to the Talley lightweights and have no more problems, and it saved an extra few ounces.