Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Objective of LRH and personal preferences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2002, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

Re: Objective of LRH and personal preferences

Darryl,

Thank you for your kind words.

I also have land in WV. I believe you said you hunt in Roane Co. My place there is only 15-20 minutes from the border of Roane (north side). If you want to LRH in WV let me know, I can plan a trip. We have a meadow about 1500 yards away from the hunting stands, to set up on.

To everyone,

The offer is open to all to hunt in Texas. If you have never had the opportunity, it is one you will always remember. The LRH shooting is approximatyely 800-1000 yards (not real long, but enough to make it challenging with the wind we have). All you have to do is e-mail. I can accomadate up to 4 hunters at a time.

As far as the distance v getting close issue goes. They are both challenging and we should say to each his own on how they want to hunt.

Jim
Old 02-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Darryl
Let me clarify a little how TX law reads. By far TX has the most privately own land in all the states. Though it is not required of you to wear Hunter orange on private land you are required to wear it on public land.

Here is an excerpt from TPWD website.

Texas Blaze Orange Laws
Hunters on Texas Parks and Wildlife public hunting lands must visibly wear a minimum of 400 square inches of Hunter Orange material with orange headwear and at least 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back.

Exception: Persons hunting only the following species are exempt from this requirement;

1.during the archery-only season while hunting deer, javelina, or feral hog,
2.turkey,
3.migratory birds,
4.coyotes or furbearers at night,
5.alligators,
6.desert bighorn sheep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All hunters and persons accompanying a hunter on National Forests and Grasslands, during gun deer season, must wear a minimum of 144 square inches of Hunter Orange visible on both the chest and back plus a Hunter Orange cap or hat.

Exception: When hunting migratory birds.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:15 AM
Silver Member

TXhunter,

Thanks for clarifying my statement. I have lived here since '93 and have yet to hunt on public land. Maybe that's why I didn't pay attention to that. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

It seems like every square acre in Texas has been bought by somebody. All the hunting I did prior to buying my land was all on leased property.

Jim
Old 02-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

338Lapua

No problem!

Been hunting since 89 and it's always been on leased land. As a matter of fact we just lost our lease that we've been hunting on for the past 12years. Now we're looking to buy, found 7000+ acres around Pumpville. Bout 2hrs from Del Rio. Looks promising if we can work with the seller a little.

We will see. Maybe set up and ready to go for next season if we're lucky, but I doubt it. In all probability the deal won't go through. But I'm hopefull.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:51 AM
Silver Member

My land is 70 mi east of Del Rio in Rocksprings. A lot of deer, turkey and exotics in that area.

Good luck on the land purchase.

Jim
Old 02-22-2002, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

TX HUNTER the cheapest land is out far west towards LANGTRY AND farther I found 400 acres with a stock tank and a couple of creeks running through it for $275.00 an acre but was a day to late [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Someone else had beat me ot it. I'm still looking myself.
.338 laupa if I can't find something before the end of summer I might have to give you a call, right now I'm trying to work something out with my customers that have property in the golden triangle area.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:03 PM

Arizona is another state that does not require you to where orange during rifle season. I lived there for 12 years and hunted deer, elk, and javalina's and I wore the brightest orange outfits I could find (years of training from hunting in Nebraska most of my life). However, my hunting buddies from there(Arizona natives) never put on any orange. I was the only one in the group with orange cloths. My friends used to comment that they could see me five miles away with that orange stuff, I said that's the idea, so you can see me. Don't know if Arizon it is still that way this year.