Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Objective of LRH and personal preferences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Objective of LRH and personal preferences

Darryl,

???????

I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't get close to game. I've read all of your posts and know you've bowhunted, etc.

I was giving you a compliment on your shooting skill. I was saying that you are such an accomplished shooter that a 1200 yard shot isn't the challenge for you that it is for the rest of us. I don't know if 1200 is a sure thing for you, but of course staking to within 50 yards of a herd is never a sure thing.

LRH [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

longrangehunter,
One thing I would like to comment on about your statements above and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it almost sounds as though you think this is unsafe?? I'm specifically talking about your statement that reads...

"Only 6 point bulls or better? hmm, I can just see myself sneaking up on a nice elk herd, getting right in with them, and BOOM.... Darryl drops the biggest Bull with a shot from his 338-416 howitzer from 4.3 miles.

Believe me when your standing behind a set of bigeyes you can see everything. Most of the time 20x wide angles lenses are used and the peripherial vision all around the animals your looking at is tremendous. If I can see bullet holes in paper at 1000yds (not under all conditions though) seeing another hunter within 200-300yds of an animal isn't a problem. So if I saw you stalking a herd, the shot isn't taken.. bottom line. But you would be surpised of how many times I've watched hunters walk right by bedded down animals and they never saw them. But I knew the animals were there and the hunter also. It's actually a very good learning tool to watch animals with humans close by through good glass like this. You learn things that aren't taught in books or magazines.

If I'm wrong I apologize. Everyone has reasons for hunting the way they do. I enjoy LR hunting under certain circumstances, but not just for the long shot. Squirrels with a 22 is probably my favorite or spring gobblers. So I get my stalking in also.

Steve
Old 02-15-2002, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

No, I don't think it's unsafe. Plus, myself I always wear plenty of bright orange.

Might want to be extra careful around dawn or dusk though.

I've used some expensive spotting scopes and some huge military optics and they are impressive, but I don't know that I would go so far as to state you can see everything. It really depends a lot on the light, mirage, and weather don't you think? It can be impossible to see into the shadows sometimes.

There are those guys with their 3-9x Walmart Tasco's that will shoot 700 yards at an Antelope and they ARE scary.

LRH

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: longrangehunter ]
Old 02-16-2002, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

My father always said "don't aim at something unless you KNOW what it, what's behind it and intend on pulling the trigger on it." He had two friend shot by other friends in the woods hunting when they were young, if they knew what they were shooting at they wouldn't have killed their friends pure and simple. If I shoot at a stump, I KNOW it's a stump not something that looks like one.

It can be impossible to see into the shadows sometimes. My reply is DON"T SHOOT in the shadows then.

but I don't know that I would go so far as to state you can see everything. depends on how you define "everything" but if you can't DON"T SHOOT again.

There are those guys with their 3-9x Walmart Tasco's that will shoot 700 yards at an Antelope and they ARE scary. I agree 100% and is why we try to explain that is not what we are doing and alot more goes into it than that. I would rather be petting Darryls bull as he shot it than be in the timber with someone that takes sound shots, as some do. It is dangerous during hunting season, bullets are being shot. Be safe.

Back to the topic of objectives. To see as many animals as I can, enjoy the scenery and take the largest animal I can home with me if he presents himself.
Old 02-16-2002, 06:13 AM
Silver Member

I'm not a "Long Range" hunter either ...yet! I started hunting wood chucks with a 22LR. I thought it was great when I got a 22WMR and could consistantly hit them at 125+ yds. Then I got a 22-250 and found that 200 yds wasn't hard at all. Then I went to KS to shoot prarrie dogs and found the thrill of a 500 yd hit. The tactics and equipment have changed but both ends of my spectrum of experience are very fun. It is all a matter of what you define as "long" range too. A 100 yd shot with a 22LR is a stretch. I see how the same applies to the bigger critters and the bigger equipment. I look forward to learning and refining the techniques even more. Then I look at what you folks are doing and shake my head in wonder. Some friends can't believe you could hit a prarrie dog at 500 yds, just like I can't believe you can hit anything but the ground at 2000 yds. Just lack of experience doing it! But that is going to change... in due time.

RB [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: RBrowning ]
Old 02-16-2002, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

LRH and RBrowning

Very nice replies from both of you.

Rbrowning
As to the way you have progressed from the 22 Rim fire days up to the 500 yard shots of today is the start of your LR hunting interest. The distance will increase as will your equipment to do so.

LRH
I think that every hunter knows his distance limitions as to the equipment and skill level he or she has developed or obtained and that's the way it should be. I think it's great that you like to sneak up to a herd of elk and watch them. I promise I will NEVER fire a shot if you are within 1000 yards of those animals. I will see you in my bigeyes if you have your orange on like all States require now.

I know through many years of defending our way of hunting that, many people don't believe the distance we shoot, can be done.
Trust me, it can and is being done more and more every year.

I also believe that, if a person likes to Longrange hunt, he won't be satisfied till he beats his previous best longrange shot on an animal.

I was feeling real good with a 2100 yard elk kill for about three years. Then a group of my friends at Williamsport got their bull elk at 2890 yards in Colorado. My objective since then has been to beat that mark. If I can do it, fine if not I'll just be #2 I guess till someone beats the 2100 yard mark.

I am seriously thinking of the 408 CHY-Tac with a 40" barrel except for the fact that the fellows that beat me at 2890 yards was shooting the SAME caliber as mine. The 338/ 416 Rigby Imp. To make things equal, possibly I should try with what I have, to beat that mark?

I guess you can say, the further the yardage
the better for most longrange hunters in my area here in Northern PA.
The first question another LR hunter will ask you when he finds out you killed a buck or bull is, "How far did you kill it" ?

To each his own though as to hunting preferance and as long as the animal dies as quick as possible. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm just glad that you and everyone new to the LR sport on this forum are learning how it is done safely and effectivly.

With Butch, Boyd,Brent, Dan, Dave, Steve, Warren, Coyote slayer, myself and others here, most of those new to LR hunting should get all the information they are seeking concerning the sport.

Darryl Cassel
Old 02-16-2002, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

Darryl,

Not to nit pick, but Texas does not require hunters to wear orange (only encouraged). But as stated many times do not fire until you are absolutely sure of the surrondings of your game.

Out at my ranchette I only alow hunters to hunt from specific places and I designate the firing angles so I can force the safety issue. I imagine on public land (which is very scarce here) the awareness level needs to be much higher.

Jim