Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Not so much a newbie, but.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 02:05 AM

Not so much a newbie, but.....

Whats up everyone, My name is Matt and im new to the site. Ive been hunting for the past 10 years and have just recently got into long range hunting. Ive seen lots of game animals at far ranges but i usually pass them up. Up until this year that is. I took a moose at 502 yards with a Remington Classic chambered in 300 weatherby mag topped with a Leupold Vari-x 3-9. It was, by far, my longest shot to date. Even to the point of no one believeing me until i took pictures. i hit him with all 3 shots. the first in the lungs, and he didnt drop, so i unloaded the mag on him. the other 2 were as follows, 1 in the jugular and the finishing 1 in the head. After thinking about it for the past few months, i realize that i was extremly lucky due to the fact that i am the guy that goes out a week before hunting season and shoots a mag just to make sure everything is still good. i have it sighted in at 2 1/2inches high at 100 yards. Anywho, back to why im here. I need some help! my old man wanted his rifle back so i need to buy a new one. Not to worried about the recoil. i just recently sold my 300 wsm and was shooting the 300 weatherby for the past 2 years. My boss is big into hunting as well and for my christmas bonus this year, he said he would buy me a rifle. So, as it stands, im in the hunt for a good long range rifle that i can use for hunting on a regular basis. I do handload all my rounds and was shooting 180gr Nosler Accubonds. I used that load for everything i hunt. Which is primarily deer and moose. although i will be going for elk this year and would like to use the same thing on that as well. My friends always ask me why i use such large bullets and i tell them that ive never had to track an animal before. they usually just drop like a ton of bricks. But, im babbeling. back to the topic at hand. a new rifle. What should i start with??? Price range of about 2200 with a decent scope.. i was thinking of a Sendaro, but what do i know. any help would be greatful. ive gone through a lot of the threads on here but everyone else is different in their situations. Again, sorry about the lengthy post but i could use some help from all your combined knowledge. thanks!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Not so much a newbie, but.....

Welcome to the site. Nice shooting on the moose.

As far as your question, there are so many different directions to go, it's hard to even answer.

I've always believed in getting a good rifle and then the best optics I could afford after that.

When I read your posting, I immediately thought 300 Rem Ultra Mag. It is a step up from a 300 Weatherby. It is easy to load for and is a great long range caliber.

Which particular rifle you get will depend on your type of hunting/terrain. Carrying a Sendero at 10k' elevation isn't a lot of fun (although I carry an 18lb 338AM up there, it's not fun).

If you are going after a heavy rifle that will be used from vantage points, I'd get a Nightforce NXS 3.5x15x50 with the NP-R1 reticle.

However, if you are going after a lighter rifle to carry around and shoot from wherever you happen to be when you find the animal, I'd recommend a Leupold 4.5x14x40mm

There is so much room on either side of these issues, it will ultimately come down to personal preference. You could even go with a custom action, barrel and stock, but wouldn't have much/any left for scope/mounts.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-27-2008, 01:52 PM

im used to carrying around a heavyish rifle. the weatherby weighed in at 14lbs with the bipod on it. I hunt some huge cuts and burns down here in the southern interior of BC and sometimes it requires me to reach out and touch something. Carrying around a Sendaro wouldnt bother me to much if it ment better accuracy in the long run. I actually know of a guy selling a 300 RUM right now. It has a black, McMillian style thumb hole stock with a 4-14x50 scope. not to sure what type of scope it is but i could probably get it for 900 bucks. are there a lot of guys on the forum that shoot the 300 Rum?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

There are a lot of 300RUM's out there! It is a great cartridge. Once you burn the barrel out, you can easily have it re-barreled to a 338EDGE if you want (the Edge uses the 300Rum as a parent cartridge), or you can just slap another 300 RUM barrel on it. Unless you shoot a lot, the first barrel will last you quite a while though.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-27-2008, 03:04 PM

yeah. i cant see firing more then 100 shots a year. im just waiting to hear back on this 300 RUM for sale here. see what is all done to it.

I also see a lot of guys on here shooting 7mm. i was originally thinking about that in the Sendero.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

7mm is a great caliber. I've shot more game with my 7mm Rem Mag (remington 700) than all my other rifles combined.

AJ

Old 12-27-2008, 03:39 PM

see, im not looking for a 1000yard rifle. 500-700 would be perfect. cause, in all reality, who really wants to pack a moose 1000yards out of a swamp. not me!