Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Norma, Nosler and other custom ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 PM

Norma, Nosler and other custom ammo

Over the past several years I have shot mostly off-the-shelf ammo, but recently I had a custom 7mm Rem Mag built by Kevin Weaver (www.weaverrifles.com). My hope was to reload for it but I travel for work and do no have time to reload if I want actually shoot my rifle. I know some rifles shoot great with off-the-shelf ammo. My thoughts were that shooting high quiality ammo, such as the Nosler Custom, would give my rilfe optimum performance. Inexpensive Remington and Federal Ammo is close to $35 per box and Nosler is at $70 per box. It looks expensive, but I just dont have the time to reload. Does anyone have thoughts on custom ammo or premium ammo such as the Nosler and Norma brands? I am looking to shoot elk and deer and want to reach out as far as 880 yards. Any suggestions would be great.

Weavershooter
Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Norma, Nosler and other custom ammo

It's going to take some trial and error to see which ammor your gun likes. It may not be the most expensive custom ammo you can find, but chances are it's not going to be the cheapest either. You're going to have to try a bunch of different ammo, but for that range you are likely going to have a tough time finding a factory ammo that is just right.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Norma, Nosler and other custom ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
It's going to take some trial and error to see which ammor your gun likes. It may not be the most expensive custom ammo you can find, but chances are it's not going to be the cheapest either. You're going to have to try a bunch of different ammo, but for that range you are likely going to have a tough time finding a factory ammo that is just right.
+1

Start with factory ammo that has the bullets and the ballistics you want for the particular
game you will be hunting. buy one box at a time and shoot with a clean barrel each time
you change ammo so you can compare apples to apples.

Hornady, Federal and Remington load good ammo with custom bullets that won't break
the bank. Try them first and you may be surprised how well they shoot if you find the
right one.

If you don't find any of this ammo that will shoot then try the more expensive stuff.

Loading is all ways the best rout to take but sometimes one of the factory brands shoots
as good as re loads.

The 7 mm Mag has been around for a long time and there is lots of good ammo for it.

J E CUSTOM