Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

noobie girlfriend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2005, 05:17 AM

Re: noobie girlfriend

EARS!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OK, that got your attention! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Something I have found to make a large difference when training newbie shooters on larger (read 'louder') rifles - is using BOTH muffs and earplugs.

The noise reduced to a muffled boom - the recoil is not nearly so much of a factor in the mind. Nett result, the lessons learned with the .22 are put into place, right amount of concentration on shot release and sight picture. Teeny groups!

Oh yes, shoot from the bench for Zero - then get away from it! Practice off the bipod, then get up into a sitting position and shoot off crossed sticks. Elbows on knees, there is no faster postion for sufficient hunting accuracy to take any game that walks. Shoot for group - then shoot on a lifesize killzone. The realization of how big a target the heart/lungs are, compared to the groups she has been shooting, will be a major confidence boost.

Enjoy it - but take things at her pace - or lose her for ever as a hunting companion!

Rgds Ian [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Gold Member

If she handled the recoil of a 9mm handgun and ended up best in her class,I'd be tempted to put a 243 in her hands.Now if she starts worrying about application deadlines and draw results,shes a keeper! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Pay attention to what Kirby said about running your mouth too much.

Memorize what Mrs 4edhorn said about salesmen and about hunting trips. It irratates the fool out of my wife that car salesmen will not wait on her unless I am present even though it is all her money. You may enjoy wandering around all day looking for something to kill but she may prefer to carry a flower identifcation book and learn the names of them all (I am serious about this). if she is not having an enjoyable day neither are you.

Guns and scopes - Small hunters are hard to fit and I would not hesitate one moment to take a saw to a stock to get a better dimension. Scopes - large field of view is easy for beginners to get on target.

One other thing is that if you have a light 20 ga auto you can go to the skeet range and just shoot the going away shots at the high house for all 25 shots. This shot is easy to teach and really builds confidence and it is fun. You can have an A-1 dove shooter with just moderate amounts of practice at the skeet range.

Oh yes, the pirate trick - Check for dominant eye and hand.
Left eye and right hand is very common and presents a difficult decision. A pirate patch over the non-shooting eye may help in such a situation if you choose to try to retrain the eye rather than buy left hand guns. I make no recomendation on this decision other than to note it is a difficult one.

Camping with women is a whole different ballgame, grit your teeth and do not complain about the new requirements.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

I started my wife on ground squirrels shooting a 243 Win.
We had hit a few under 100 yds. when she said she wanted to stop, I asked her what was wrong and she said there was one right in front of us holding a dead one in its arms kissing it. and it was probably its mate and it was saying good-by, I should mention we had only been married 2 days, well I set the spotting scope up and let her see what was really going on, The "mate" was eating the face of the dead one she put down the scope and blew the "mate" into a fine spray pattern.

Muffs and plugs for sure, rat like animals are a good choice to start on because they aren't cute, just rats.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
The "mate" was eating the face of the dead one she put down the scope and blew the "mate" into a fine spray pattern.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well that would be quite the sight. I have never seen it before but I don't know where you live and what kind of squirrels you are talking about. But I am glad that your wife's hunting exp. didn't end in sorrow and pitty for the poor suckers.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

CornHunter
My advise is not much different than what has already been
posted, but I can tell you that getting your girlfriend or
wife involved can be rewarding in more ways than one.

My wife grew up in a hunting family, but the male members
did not bother to take their sisters hunting/shooting. We
need to make sure that we do not make this mistake with
females in our family & get everyone involved.

I started taking my wife shooting a couple of months after
we started dating. I started her off with .22 rifles & .22
handguns. As was previously mentioned, I made sure that we
used ear protection. We then moved up to .223 Rifles. Soon
after we were married, I bought her a Rem. Mod. 600 Mohawk
in .308 with a low powered variable. I added a recoil pad
& loaded lighter 150 Gr. loads. She killed her first buck
with this rifle in an alfalfa field behind her parent's
house. I also bought her a light 20 Ga. fo bird hunting.
Wanting a rifle with a little less recoil yet, I bought
her a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 & had a good gunsmith sporterize it and install a Pac. decelerator pad. This
is the rifle she still uses & does not want any kind of
upgrade as it is very accurate & deadly on all of the
game she hunts.
One thing to keep in mind is when you teach them how to
shoot, it gives you extra incentive to behave yourself!
Old 07-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Mrs. 4ked Horn,
I appreciate you taking time to give the response you did.
It's excellent and surely will be used by many of us. Your
husband is a wise man, he knew you would answer it better than he would. Thank you both.
Javier Moncada.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!