I use Exbal on my desktop PC and also on the Palm I use in the field. I use a Palm for several reasons, all of which are just my personal reasons.
- You can buy a Palm for less than a Pocket PC. At the price of a Palm, and especially if you buy a used one, I consider it a throw away item. If I lose it, break it, smash it etc. it's not big deal. If I'd paid a lot, as in a fancy or new P PC, I'd not be very happy
- It's my understanding the Palm uses less power and thus the batteries last longer
- I only want the unit to do one thing for me in the field and that is to run Exbal. I don't need all of the things that a Pocket PC provides. I know a lot of people need/want all of the Pocket PC/Windows/connectability but not me
- Just about any Palm will run Exbal and there is really not much of a memory concern.
- With a Pocket PC memory and applications and cost run hand in hand.
Like I said, these are just my reasons and those that can justify a Pocket PC will feel differently. They don't have to make me happy but I do.;)
I know a lot of people will say that Mr. Perry of Exbal recommends the Pocket PC. This is what is on their web site.
For Users who do not have a PDA yet: For users who are trying to decide on use of a Palm vs Pocket PC we recommend the Pocket PC. It is based on the traditional Microsoft Windows platform so its user interface is familiar to most users. Microsoft is continually adding new features to the Windows Mobile OS.
If you need the Windows platform for anything other than Exbal then this is a valid way of looking at it. I only need Exbal so it's a Palm in my pocket.;)