Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Next year's new toy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Next year\'s new toy!

About four down under your post is a very long and very thorough "basics of bedding". It is easy to do if you get your wife to read you the instructions before you start (I only read them when things go wrong). My first bedding job took two years to shoot loose because of a small burr on the vertical part of the recoil lug that I did not take the time to file off. But that action was really bedded.

Also go one page back in this part of the forum and look for "270izzy". He got all the same advice.

What I would do for a second backup gun is choose a caliber that is on the edge of a back up deer gun and really good for something else I wanted to hunt.
The 300 Win Mag and 7 Rem mag basically cover the same set of animals. Maybe you need a good 25 caliber which is a super varmint cal and still good for any size deer. I actually do the reverse from what I am advising you- I use a 24 caliber on deer and the 7mm as back up -you seem happy using the 7mm on deer and thats fine with me - it kills them dead. Maybe you need a 338 for polar bear hunting but it would still be ok for deer (might not be much meat left). That is just the way I think about things when getting a new gun. I never buy two guns for the same critter, just try to make sure I have overlap in the cabinet.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:53 AM

All great advise!

And your right about the back-up as well. I could use a turkey plinker, being legal in Texas. One that could also take a deer if need be. Say 223.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

Sorry, its off the subject, but why do so many folks still think that the bigger the round the more damage it causes? I've seen way more damage from a 243 than from the 338. Its all in choice of projectiles!

Caribou taken with 338 mag 2 years ago had pencil in and dime out on both shots
Old 03-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

I apologize if a little humor touched some sore point. It does not matter to me what YOU use as long as YOU are happy.
That was my point - that he could go either way - it was just what his preferences are in shooting. Lots of people like the larger diameters and that is fine with me.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

I took a good size deer last year with a savage 223. Its legal were i live. I would not turn my back on 223 good for everything from squrilles and chucks up to deer. Its really my small game gun but it can overlap.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I took a good size deer last year with a savage 223. Its legal were i live. I would not turn my back on 223 good for everything from squrilles and chucks up to deer. Its really my small game gun but it can overlap.

[/ QUOTE ] I have killed a lot of caribou with this ctg. only trouble with it is when the wind really blows, so do the bullets. A great many shots are taken at and beyond 300 yards and for this reason and this reason only a higher b.c. is really needed. Never the less, it is a great killer!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 40 years old and have been hunting since I was 16. I decided this year I would shed my pride once and for all. Ok,.. here goes...I don't know squat about shooting. What I mean is, of course, shooting the way you guys do. At the end of this deer season, I commited to educating myself more on glass, guns and ammo. I decided, that my first step would be chunking my crappy cheap scope (simmons). I poured over various optic forums the last four months educating myself on glass. I feel pretty good about my decision to buy a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X50. For next deer season, my Zeiss will have to sit upon my current rifle, Remington BDL 7mm mag. But I'm hoping in about a year from now, I'd like to upgrade my rifle. I can not at this time afford a $3500 gun, at least not by next year. So with that in mind. I'd like to get some input from you all. What are the most acurate rifles for $1000 and under. I will probable be looking at 300 mag caliber.
One self described expert has told me to look at Tikka T3.
What do you all think of that and others?
Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Brewdaddy

[/ QUOTE ]

SAKO SAKO SAKO and Tikka. Oh and the scope...make it a 40mm mark my words! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]