Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Newby Shopping List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM

Newby Shopping List

Hello, Everyone!

So, not really a newby, here, but I don't really have any centerfire rifles in my collection. Everything else from left and right hand compound and traditional bows, rimfire rifles, shotguns in various calibers, revolvers and pistols are well-represented, though. I have tried multiple times, but I just haven't found the rifle that really "resonates" with me.... With family asking me for a Christmas list, I figured I'd try again!

***If you all would be so kind as to suggest your top 5 centerfire rifles and calibers, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if there are any accessories you feel must be purchased from the get-go, please feel free to add them (cases, cleaning kits, bipods, slings, etc.). Although not the case, please assume I have nothing else.

Characteristics:
1) GOOD SYSTEM: I'd like to start out with something that I can learn from, if that makes sense. I like to tinker with things to learn about them, and I also think it's be nice to be able to build on and improve on over time, whether by myself or with the help of a 'smith.
2) DURABLE: I'd like something fairly robust, as I tend to be hard on my things.
3) CLASSIC: If possible, I'd like something with soul, something pretty (not the same as "flashy"), something classic.
4) CHEAP CALIBER: fairly inexpensive ammo that won't kill my shoulder in extended shooting sessions (note - I don't intend to get into reloading until I figure out if I'm shooting enough to make it beneficial).
5) THICKER BARREL: no pencil-thin tapered hunting barrels, please. I'm not a terrible shot, but I think I'll have to practice a fair amount, and tapered barrels probably heat up too much.
6) NEW, NOT USED?: I will be giving this list to family members who are not so adept at finding quality used firearms in the classifieds, so I would like to keep this list confined to new firearms.

I really appreciate any input you have for me. I've been reading a bit more and looking around for a forum on longer distance rifling, and this seems like the place to be.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
PM
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: Newby Shopping List

Well for starters I would look at 223 or 308 for the caliber.