Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Newbie... what rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Newbie... what rifle?

7mm Mag is plenty for elk. 1300lbs of energy at 700-800 fairly easily. You don't need a cannon. .30 cal magnums will blow any Texas game in half. Put a 180gr Berger Vld out of a 7mm Mag and you will put an elk down no problem, and you can load other projectiles in it that won't obliterate smaller game.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

Another vote for the 7mm Rem Mag. You don't say what your scope budget is, or whether you plan on staying with the Zeiss. If dollars are tight, I would opt for the savage and put the extra $$$ towards a scope with MOA stadia on your windage crosshair. If $$$ are not an issue, then I would go with a sender.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider00 View Post
Up at my local shop they have a slightly used Remington 700 CDL SF with the SS fluted barrel in 300 WSM for $899. Would this be an alright starter? Put on a bedded synthetic stock.
the gun is more important than the cartridge. cdl is good; it is not a sendero or a 40x.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

The quality of the rifle is a very important factor. Big or small cal, if you dont have the precision and consistency you will be limited in range.

IMO, when elk are on the menu, bigger is better. 300 WM or 300 RUM in a Sendero platform is a great LR shooter and elk hunter.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Bronze Member

I'll throw in my vote for the Sendero. Also, the Savage long range hunter is a good choice.
As for the 300 on TX whitetail, in my experience a .30 caliber 180 grain Accubond does about the same damage as a .270 caliber 130 grain ballistic tip. I have used my 300 wby on whitetail hunts when there has been a chance of shooting nilgai on the same hunt. At first, I thought the 300 was going to do too much damage, but that wasn't normally the case. And I was able to have the better bone breaking power to take down nilgai before it got to the brush.
However, I will admit that if you hit solid bone with a hard hitting 30 caliber bullet, you may end up with a large hole on the other side.
So 7mm mag, 300 win mag, or 300 rum will all work on Texas deer. Pick one and have some fun.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider00 View Post
I am just getting into long range hunting. I have been deer hunting in Texas for a long time but now I am looking to start doing elk, mulies, and pronghorn hunts. The round I have been looking at is 7mm mag but I am not 100% certain this is what I am going with. I figured this is a round I can hunt all three with and also use it for deer hunting in TX. Ive already got a Zeiss Conquest 5-25 but I am looking to get a rifle now. My budget is $1,500. If you were just starting out what rifle would you get and what caliber? Thanks
Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

IIWY, I'd save another $500 and get me a custom rifle >>> Custom Remington Rifles | Red Hawk Rifles

My preference would be 300 WM, 300 RUM or 338 RUM.

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

IIWY, I'd save another $500 and get me a custom rifle >>> Custom Remington Rifles | Red Hawk Rifles

My preference would be 300 WM, 300 RUM or 338 RUM.

Good luck!
That is some real good advice!

I mentioned on an above post I would recommend the 300 RUM but as Ed mentioned above the 338 RUM is a great caliber for the Best North America Hunting/Long Range caliber and a number of established LRH members seem to agree on this prior thread.

Best North America Hunting/Long Range caliber.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope