Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Newbie in search of first long range rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Newbie in search of first long range rifle

As far as calibers, if you are new to this game most magnums will most likely frustrate you espescially if youre going to develop your own loads. I would recomend starting with a 308 win. If that isnt what youre after then the 7mm-08, 260 rem, 280 AI would all do very well for a begginer. All are 1K capable and most of them will handle elk and black bears. If youre dead set on a magnum the 300 WSM is about the least finicky of them all. The 308 will help you and work for you instead of against you. You will be able to learn the skills needed while building confidence. Other cartridges can help you too, most just take more work to fine tune than others. Once you get to figure things out a bit, then you can move on to 300 RUMs and the like.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Here's the pics.

The barrel looks short due to the stock being long. I think that's a good thing.

And ya can have this damn'd monkey too. Overhead is way too high.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

900 man,
i have a savage 110fp(police/law enforcment model). heavy barrel ,muzzle brake, 300win mag with around 300 rounds through it.recently bought a brenchrest rifle with a 30" 1.250 dia barrel on it in 300wm. dont need my savage anymore. i'll send you a pm. jason

Last edited by 30-06 boy; 01-02-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:17 PM

I want to thank all of you for your thoughts. I think i have decided on a 270 wsm now i have to decide on what brand. I'm probably gonna go with the savage with the accua trigger just haven't figured out what model...Any suggestions? I have read that they have come out with a accua-stock now. I haven't seen where you can get that caliber in a heavy barrel...maybe im just overlooking it but all I can find is a 223 and 308.

Thanks
Randy
Old 01-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Did you see the screaming deal in the guns for sale section. The 340WBY with Nightforce scope and Mcmillan stock for $3000?

I'm not associated with the rifle in any way, just thought it sounded like a good deal.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

Probably get some negative feed back but here goes. Buy the rem 700 in 257 whby. It will kill anything in the 48. I have 2 , 1 is custom built with the good components and the other is 25-06 opened up. Very mild to nothing recoil which is the main thing. I will not mention how many 1 shot kills i have made on deer. I have 2 friends who uses it for elk in colo, and other w. states and works well. I dont care what big cannon you use you still have to have bullet placement , with this comforable shooting gun you wont get hurt on the back end and ruin your shooting skills. As far as deer up to 300 yard i think you could hit one any place and still drop it. As far as long range it will perform but you have to do your part. Im in the same boat as you when it comes to spending and if i get the chance to go out west for elk and mule deer i will def. take the 257 and not build anything bigger. My 2 cents worth.
Mike
Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

I know it sounds like you already made up your mind, but the Remington 700 with a x-mark pro trigger or a Savage with an Accu-trigger in 7mm Rem mag would be a best bet. Exceptional BC bullets, not real punishing recoil, and not really load sensitive.

Nikon, Burris, Bushnell Elite, or Leupold would be recommended for glass. I wouldn't go any lower than 16x on the high end, but you will be sacrificing speed on the close shots.

Good luck.