Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Newbie Questions: Stevens Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Bronze Member

Newbie Questions: Stevens Stock

Just got a Model 200 stevens in .25-06, and after all my reading on here I realize that this flimsy thing won't be on the gun for long. Once I buy my range finder I probably will have exhausted my hunting budget for a little bit(plus it is hunting season) so was wondering if anyone has modified the factory stock in any way to improve upon it. Stiffened it up, made it heavier, etc. I was thinking that the area around the barrel was too close to the barrel, so maybe carving/sanding it down some would be good. Just seeing what other have done. I saw a .204 somewhere that had the front of the stock shortened a bunch and cut down to fully float the barrel. Looked pretty sharp and got rid of the flexibility issue.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Newbie Questions: Stevens Stock

Definitely sand away any part of the stock that is in contact with your barrel.

In order to stabilize the stock, consider filling in voids in the stock with epoxy and steel rods or lead shot. Also, check out youtube for how-to's on bedding your action into the stock. Do not pay anyone to bed your rifle as the stock is not worth it unless you do the work yourself.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Yes sir you can upgrade that stock I did! I bedded an arrow shaft in the forend, the filled the rest of the forearm with bondo. (of course make sure the barrel is still free floated) I filled the hollow buttstock with expanding foam, not sure if that was a great idea but I don't see any issue there. I also reworked the grip areas with bondo and gave it a better texture. Also bedded the action. Then it got a better paint job, cuz this stock is UGLY It'll do until I can get the money to order a better stock

Here is mine

Newbie Questions: Stevens Stock-img_4435.jpg

Newbie Questions: Stevens Stock-img_4436.jpg
Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenY 2013 View Post
Yes sir you can upgrade that stock I did! I bedded an arrow shaft in the forend, the filled the rest of the forearm with bondo. (of course make sure the barrel is still free floated) I filled the hollow buttstock with expanding foam, not sure if that was a great idea but I don't see any issue there. I also reworked the grip areas with bondo and gave it a better texture. Also bedded the action. Then it got a better paint job, cuz this stock is UGLY It'll do until I can get the money to order a better stock
Arrow shafts and bondo...bada$$
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Haha thank you! The forend still flexes more than I would like but is WAY better than it was out of the box!

Next mod will be adding a homemade adjustable cheek piece made from kydex!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenY 2013 View Post
Haha thank you! The forend still flexes more than I would like but is WAY better than it was out of the box!

Next mod will be adding a homemade adjustable cheek piece made from kydex!
This is what I call first class turd-polishing!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
This is what I call first class turd-polishing!

It certainly is that!