Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Newbie Question about Wind Meters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Newbie Question about Wind Meters

I am just kinda getting started on shooting long range. I have a Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag. I am working on getting a range finder(never used one before, but never tried shots that I would have needed them for), and am looking at wind meters also. My buddy tells me the Kestrel's are pretty good. I am wondering, with all the different models and capabilities out there, waht do I really need? I am thinking the 2500 with Wind, Temp, and Barometric Pressure would be pretty nice. My question would be do I really need the BP? I will be shooting strictly long range hunting, no target. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Newbie Question about Wind Meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I am just kinda getting started on shooting long range. I have a Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag. I am working on getting a range finder(never used one before, but never tried shots that I would have needed them for), and am looking at wind meters also. My buddy tells me the Kestrel's are pretty good. I am wondering, with all the different models and capabilities out there, waht do I really need? I am thinking the 2500 with Wind, Temp, and Barometric Pressure would be pretty nice. My question would be do I really need the BP? I will be shooting strictly long range hunting, no target. Thanks for your help.
Barometric pressue isn't going to make much difference until you get past 1,000yds.

If by BP you mean "bipod" no it's not a necessity, but man will they ever come in handy when trying to shoot prone. You will be far steadier with a bipod than you ever will be bracing off of your pack or a rock/log etc.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Barometric pressue isn't going to make much difference until you get past 1,000yds.

If by BP you mean "bipod" no it's not a necessity, but man will they ever come in handy when trying to shoot prone. You will be far steadier with a bipod than you ever will be bracing off of your pack or a rock/log etc.
By BP, I mean Barometric Pressure. thanks for the input on the wind meter. I have a bipod on my gun and it's great. I need to get a descent range finder and wind meter and then I will be ready to rock. After that, I will try to upgrade my glass.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

For me the Baro data is the most important since I change elevation by thousands of feet during a hunt, it's an easily accounted for item and the more you nail down the better your solution will be!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"