Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Newbie here - howdy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Bronze Member

Newbie here - howdy!

Just getting into long range shooting/varmint hunting and would love some advice.

Considering my first true long-range gun and I think I've decided on a Tikka Varmint in .308, Stainless Steel. Probably going to get it bead-blasted non-reflective so the heat shimmer/mirage off the barrel won't be as much of an issue.

Scope choice is a female-dog, though. I've got a nice 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest, but I would like up to a 16x scope, maybe 30mm tube, so I won't have to get a sloped base.

I have a 1000 yard range nearby and plan on firing out to that range.

Trying to decide between a Zeiss 4.5-14x40 scope (1" tube, so may have to get 20MOA base) vs. a X.O.T.I.C. scope - 4-16x56, 30mm, mildot reticle.

Pretty huge differences here - in price, features, MOA adjustments, WEIGHT, ring height needed (56 mm obj is pretty damn big) etc.

My BIGGEST desire in an optic is CLARITY and lens quality - I want the BEST lens quality for my money - and am willing to spend up to $800 for it (new or used).

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Newbie here - howdy!

well for just a tad over your budget Brownells has the IOR tactical scopes ,
6-24 x50mm , 30mm tube , some new ones have a 35mm tube!!
16" long and 26oz
Their glass is tope of the line , compaires to Ziess and NF from what i have seen.
Brownells price is $940
Old 05-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Well, hello and welcome. There are a lot of 308 shooters here and when they get through marlim fishing I'm sure you'll get some advice.

If you want some advice to ignore, heres some. For long range (we will say under a 1000 yds) varmint hunting it is hard to beat some of the smaller calibers like 243, 257, 264 for just fun to shoot. I have had two 25-06s and it is a good varmint to mule deer cartridge. With the 75gr HP it will really smack a chuck. With 100 gr or 115 gr it is good for up to mule deer out to about 600 yards (energy goes away but then so does the 308 at about that distance). I don't shoot benchrest but I do not think that it is anybodies favorite BR cartridge but if you are just messing around at the range it is easy on your shoulder.

The 7mm Rem mag will keep energy out to about 1000yards. At one time in my life I was shooting a 7 mag with 115 gr speers HPs and 120 gr Hdy HPs at chucks and crows. It makes one helluva racket and but it kills what it hits. I do not exactly "enjoy" shooting the heavier high BC bullets at the range because a 7 mag will let you know that you have pulled the trigger.

Do not know 308 ballistics well but I suspect you will need the 20 MOA base. Under the long range optics there was a discussion a couple of days ago about XOTIC scopes. You can look at that.

Anyway, I am mostly just killing time waiting on UPS to get here with some bullets and neck reamers, have a great day.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome Grey
Old 05-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Bronze Member

THanks for the warm welcome, guys. I found a GREAT deal here today (so glad I signed up) for a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 scope with Z-plex reticle and side focus. I think I still may want to get eventually either the XOTIC or a really nice (Zeiss, Sightron, Burris Black Diamond) 6-24x scope, but that will have to wait.

Now, I need to find myself a nice .308 Tikka, and maybe a different sort of varmint gun (.223, .25-06, ???)

If anyone can steer me to someone who has a Varmint model Tikka for sale, I'd be much obliged!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

Buffalo Bob,

Whereabouts do you live? I'm up in Alexandria, VA. I noticed your address was the Potomac River.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
THanks for the warm welcome, guys. I found a GREAT deal here today (so glad I signed up) for a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 scope with Z-plex reticle and side focus. I think I still may want to get eventually either the XOTIC or a really nice (Zeiss, Sightron, Burris Black Diamond) 6-24x scope, but that will have to wait.

Now, I need to find myself a nice .308 Tikka, and maybe a different sort of varmint gun (.223, .25-06, ???)

If anyone can steer me to someone who has a Varmint model Tikka for sale, I'd be much obliged!

[/ QUOTE ]

Grey -- while you are at it, check out www.snipershide.com on the forums for LOTS of info on the XOTIC

once you get MROE POWER, you keep wanting MORE -- luckily im at about as far as we can take it in a scope at 42-50x [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

it is addictive when you can see you holes in white paper to 1000yds in good conditions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seems the XOTIC glass is SUPERB, so say several people i trust, but havent seen it myself.

cheers,
JB