Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Newbie here on the forum with a question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: Newbie here on the forum with a question.

vahena, you have received a ton of great information so far. As has been said, get out and shoot your gun and see how accurate it is. You don't really state if your goal is to just target shoot or to eventually hunt at longer distances, but the 7mag will be a great one to start with. Do your best to improve the accuracy of both your gun and yourself. If you can start shooting sub-MOA with your gun, there is no real need to go buy another rifle. However, getting to sub-MOA might take reloading and might also take the steps that WildRose recommended (bedding, pillars, free float, etc). Bottom line is to get out there and do some shooting and figure out how accurate you and your rifle currently are. In the meantime, spend a bunch of time around here reading and learning. You will be amazed at the amount of information you pick up from guys like WildRose, Roninflag, and the countless other experts who hang around here.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to the gang. Will you be going to the show in Harrisburg? Stop in at the Best of the West booth and chat a little while. We will also be at the Eastern Sheep show in Lancaster the following week. We would be glad to answer all your questions.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 PM

Hey Guys,

As mentioned above that is my intent to go shoot what I have , enjoy and learn more from the experience gentleman here on the forum.

But i am located in the notheast and it is 18 degrees plus chill factor. next best thing is to get ready for early spring, read, listen and learn.

I am only interested in target shooting, right now I am shooting spots, twice a week at my archery league indoors.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 AM
Silver Member

Vahena
Welcome to the forum!

+2 on all the positive 7mm RemMag input. Everyone I know who shoots 7mm's loves them. I never heard somebody say, "Had a 7mm and it sucked so I sold it." That says it all to me.

WildRose is straight up about improving your rifle. I have only seen one rifle with conventional bedding shoot well. Glass bedding and free floating is a must.

Good scope purchase!

KB
Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 AM

Hello Everyone.
I feel I have received a wealth of information here so far and I intend on using it. I received my new Nikon scope 6-24x 50mm the other day and have installed it on the rifle, I am going to get it bore sighted this week to cut down on the amount of ammo to get it zeroed in. it is still too cold to go to the range but reading alot and thinking about all that has been said.

I have tried to slid a dollar bill between the barrel and forearm but it was too tight, I am looking at this as a good sign.
I will start reading up on free floating and bedding, and see if indeed the rifle may need it, after I first shoot it in the early spring, which is right around the corner.

Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated, I have decided to take a picture of the rifle later today, as we men are so visual and to see what I am working with.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 PM

Newbie here on the forum with a question.-mauser-7mm-rem-mag1.jpg

I know this is just another pic of a rifle but to me its the beginning of a journey.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Vahena- what model is that?? very attractive rifle. mauser ? left handed??