Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

A newbie with a couple of questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A newbie with a couple of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelnut View Post
Heard someone say on here that H1000 was harder to find than a pink unicorn, or something like that.

If you cannot find H1000, might want to try Alliant Reloader 25. It works well with heaver bullets in the 7mm Mag. Also they had it in stock earlier today at: www.natchezss.com

Reloader 22 is pretty good also..
When I was shooting the 7mm Rem and loading for it all we really had was H870 and then H1000. I'd be hesitant to recommend a powder I personally have not used.

Alliant powders have been very hard to get hold of for the last few years as well but I'm going to be buying up a few kegs of both RL 22 and 25 when I have some extra cash that needs a home.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

Hodgdon's lists Retumbo as a close companion to H1000. They have similar data points in Hodgdon's 2013 manual with Retumbo using a pinch more. Most loads discussed on LR Hunting have both as favorites for most shooters. They are both made by ADI in Australia, same Extreme powder technology.

It is a good backup for H1000 and lately if the stores don't get one they might get the
other. I am looking for either as I am going to develope a 300 WinMag / Berger 210 load and those two are the front runners.

Don't overlook the Barnes LRX & Nosler ABLR bullets too. With Berger's offerings you have a good choice to reach out 800 yards with the 7mm RemMag.

KB
Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

P.S. to my last post.

All Unicorns are pink during a blue moon if you recall your Mythology.

So if you are looking only during a blue moon.... how hard can it be?

KB
Old 01-11-2014, 11:46 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies. Some great info here.
I too have had a hard time finding any H1000. Going to start looking for some Retumbo this week.
The biggest problem is that if I want to use the Berger bullet it seems that I am out of luck. I searched for two hours last night on the net for anyone that has the 168gr or the 180gr VLD hunting bullets in stock.
Is there anything out there that is a close second or is there a bullet that you guys like as well or better than the berger for long range?
I will try to find some of the barnes that were mentioned.
A friend that goes to my church told me that he has uses the Sierra Game Kings. Anyone have any experience with them? Thing is, I know he doesn't shoot out past 300 yds.

Thanks again for you patience,
dj
Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerJerky View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies. Some great info here.
I too have had a hard time finding any H1000. Going to start looking for some Retumbo this week.
The biggest problem is that if I want to use the Berger bullet it seems that I am out of luck. I searched for two hours last night on the net for anyone that has the 168gr or the 180gr VLD hunting bullets in stock.
Is there anything out there that is a close second or is there a bullet that you guys like as well or better than the berger for long range?
I will try to find some of the barnes that were mentioned.
A friend that goes to my church told me that he has uses the Sierra Game Kings. Anyone have any experience with them? Thing is, I know he doesn't shoot out past 300 yds.

Thanks again for you patience,
dj
Try the 162gr Hornady SST, The 160gr Accubond, 168gr Accubond LR or the 150gr Swift Sirocco II and I think you'll be very happy.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

Midway USA has Berger 180 7MM VLD in stock right now. It is in 500 count though. Savage barrels have a 1:9.25 twist. Berger says min for 180 Gn is 1:9. So it would be close but probably OK. You could always sell the 180 Gn if they don't work.

Natchez still has the 1 Lb. Reloader 25. It will throw those 180 berger amazing well.

Don't wait too long..
Old 01-12-2014, 04:42 AM
Silver Member

You do not indicate where you are but Tuesday of last week (6th?) Sportsman's Warehouse in Federal Way WA had Bergers in several flavors of 7mm including the 180's. They had 250 count boxes of the 308-210 VLD's also.

All the components are hit and miss. I check Sportsman's and Sportco locally at least once a week, usually Tuesday as Sportsman's gets powder shipped in on Monday night. It helps to talk to the clerks as they have a feel for it. Bergers were gone up until about a month ago.

I have personally used Sierra GMK's for years and they are a fine bullet. They have a high BC compared to most. Started at the same velocity they drop enough less at 300 yards to be noticed. Sighted in @ 220 yds (200m) they print higher on the 300 yard paper than the others.

KB