Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

A newbie with a couple of questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 PM

A newbie with a couple of questions

I'm on this site almost daily but seldom post anything because I know pretty much nothing about LRH but I am very interested and have a few questions to help me get started in the right direction.

1. I have a Thompson Venture 338 Win Mag and a Savage 7mm Rem Mag. Which would be the best gun to start with for a 500-800yd Deer Hunting Rifle?

2. It looks like one of the preferred bullets to reload is the 300gr Berger VLD Elite Hunter, but I have looked everywhere local and on the internet and no one has them in stock or even knows when they might get them back in stock. So what would be a close second to this bullet?

3. What would you say is your best reloading recipe for the caliber that you would go with out of these two?

Thanks so much and I promise not to be a pest, just want a good place to start.

dj
Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A newbie with a couple of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerJerky View Post
I'm on this site almost daily but seldom post anything because I know pretty much nothing about LRH but I am very interested and have a few questions to help me get started in the right direction.

1. I have a Thompson Venture 338 Win Mag and a Savage 7mm Rem Mag. Which would be the best gun to start with for a 500-800yd Deer Hunting Rifle?
The one which you consistently shoot the best.

Quote:
2. It looks like one of the preferred bullets to reload is the 300gr Berger VLD Elite Hunter, but I have looked everywhere local and on the internet and no one has them in stock or even knows when they might get them back in stock. So what would be a close second to this bullet?
I doubt you want to try that bullet with the 338wm. You don't have enough powder capacity to push it fast enough to take advantage of the high BC. You almost certainly will run into problems with case capacity even trying to seat it deep enough to function in your rifle. That round is designed for the .338 Edge, .338 Lapua etc.

Quote:
3. What would you say is your best reloading recipe for the caliber that you would go with out of these two?

Thanks so much and I promise not to be a pest, just want a good place to start.

dj
Asking questions is what 99% of us do here on a regular basis. Don't even begin to think it makes you a pest.

Welcome.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

Start with the 7mm. It is plenty for deer to 1000 yards and lots of good loads on this site. There are alot of LR/VLD bullets that the 7mm RemMag can toss at usable velocity. Stick with >160 grain bullets and you will be pleased.

Nothing wrong with the 338 but of the two the 7 mm has a flatter trajectory.

KB
Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

There are tons of long range rifles built on a savage action, and 7mm will be a damn fine deer rifle further out than most people can accurately shoot. My ruger 77 in 7rem really likes the hsm loaded 168vld, I haven't found the 180 in stock to try yet. The furthest I've killed with it to date has been 485yd and the doe never knew what hit her, bang flop is an understatement.

I don't know enough about the t/c bolt actions to advise on their accuracy potential and haven't seen any write ups involving them yet. This is probably just due to the fact they're new to the market. Most of the reading I've done everyone says 210-250gr shoot best for the 338win, the longer bullets will severely cut into your powder charge and might have trouble getting them from mag to chamber they'll just be too long without seating deep into the case. This is simply what I've read I have minimal experience with that caliber just too much gun for anything we have in KY. My suggestion would be to buy several factory brands in different configurations which ever gives you best results will be a good starting point for hand loading in the future that's what I do with all of my guns.

Good luck and happy hunting keep us informed.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 PM

Thanks so much guys for the responses. Well, I think I will go with the 7mm and see how she does.

If anyone has a recommendation for a Bullet/Powder Combo I could start out with that has worked well for you, that would be great.
Thanks again,

dj
Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerJerky View Post
Thanks so much guys for the responses. Well, I think I will go with the 7mm and see how she does.

If anyone has a recommendation for a Bullet/Powder Combo I could start out with that has worked well for you, that would be great.
Thanks again,

dj
H1000 and the 150gr Swift Sirocco II, or Nosler Accubond. You can't go wrong with either for your applications.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
H1000 and the 150gr Swift Sirocco II, or Nosler Accubond. You can't go wrong with either for your applications.
Heard someone say on here that H1000 was harder to find than a pink unicorn, or something like that.

If you cannot find H1000, might want to try Alliant Reloader 25. It works well with heaver bullets in the 7mm Mag. Also they had it in stock earlier today at: www.natchezss.com

Reloader 22 is pretty good also..