Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: newbie

Bigboy,

I think you're on the right track w/ the savage fv 12 but the 10x scope might be a little bit of a low on magnification.I have a 6x18 40mm nikon w/side focus and consider it a nice scope.I'll never own another scope w/o side focus ,i varmint hunt and the old fashion adjustable objective is just that -old fashion.
Midsouth had them for $275 a short time ago.
As far as the ken farrel bases i don't "think" you'll need them if you use the burris offset insert kit -$10.I use them and swear by them for getting and keeping your scope in the middle of the adjustment range.
The .243 is hard to beat w/the fast twist and heavy bc bullets.
Well best of luck to you -Mike
Old 05-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Gold Member

bigboy,

don't forget to check ebay for a good scope, there are a lot of them on there, and I have gotten some great deals on leupold mk4's on there. some of the models go for real close to retail, but some of the not as popular models can be had for a great discount.
figure out how much you want to spend, and don't bid on the auction until, literally, the last 30sec-1min enter your bid and see what happens...
good luck
Old 05-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Bronze Member

I guess I'll toss in my .02.
The Savage is definately a plan.
Personally, I'd buy some pawn shop long action... Cracked stock and sporter weight .270 or what ever. All you need is the action.
Next I'd get an air gauged match barrel from any of the top companies. Douglas, Shilen, Lilja (I think that's how that last one's spelled) and get that installed on my action. You should be up to about $650 by now.
Buy a pillar bedded stock of some flavor. Try free floating the barrel first (which you can do at home with sand paper and a socket) if that doesn't work, try bedding the barrel.
Next you'll need brass, primers, bullets, powder, maybe a shell holder, dies.
Take what ever $ is left over and throw it at a scope... All of it! Ebay was a great suggestion, Nazchez's bargan cave or whatever they call it can have some great deals too. I picked up a 6 - 25 Sightron for $300 from them a few years back.
Take care,
Coyoter
Old 06-07-2006, 01:38 PM

Hey Ya'll. I found an insanely awesome deal! I'm not going to say just where yet hehe... Ok. The gun is a Savage model 10FP action with the 20 inch heavy barrel glass bedded into a Mcmillan hunter class benchrest stock and topped off with a Burris Black Diamond 8-32x44mm. It is chambered in .308. I went to all the discount store websites and added the total cost of all components. They came to $1486, + shipping. I am getting the gun for $690 delivered [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] well thank you all for your help, gunman
Old 06-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

sounds like a great deal! just hope your not hunting brushy areas with that scope, other than that sounds good. ya can't go wrong with the old .308

have fun
Old 06-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

I would suggest you really put EVERYTHING you WANT down on paper and see what you really have. In just skimming through your posts, I would not really recomend any of this. Hopefully you are not planning on spending all the money you have on a rifle? I know every time I buy a gun and then order slings,bipods,bullets,powder,rings,bases,ammo boxes, dies,bushing,and all the crappie accessories I spend big bucks. Its probably always double what I plan. If you reload then you already have rifles, and my suggestion would be to get out and really use what you have at your disposal.
Buying a 20" barreled rifle is a waste for LR. Also scrapping the barrel and stock right away are very expensive. I dont think any 15 YO kids are ready for a LR rig. There are alot of more important things unless you just have lots of extra cash burning a hole in your pocket.
GUN 1200 ( maybe)
Range finder ($$$)
Spotting scope ($$$)
GAS to go hunting ($$$)
ammo bullets are about 25 per 100 and powder is about the same per pound
If I add the cost of the spotter, rangefinder and rifle scope that I have they add up to well over the cost of your rifle. I would try to be realistic, take the largest caliber rifle you have and set your self goals, ie an animal at 100,200,300,400 out to 600. After you have completed this and one year passes, then if you want the same things, do it. Just my .02