Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New to the sport. Advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM

New to the sport. Advice needed

A little background on me. I have been an avid hunter and fisherman since I was a young kid. My first firearm was my grandpas old Steven Savage .22/.410 that is what i learned to hunt with. As I got older various 22's 870 and rem 1100 3' mag gun found there way in to my collection. found my myself getting more in to shotgun pursuits. Then a strange thing happened this summer I competed in the Air Rifle contest at the Nationals at Camp Perry. That hooked me big time for precision shooting.

I have never had a center fire rifle since I live in NW Ohio we can only use slug guns. However we also have Cabin in Grayling Michigan where I can use center fire rifle. So the bug is hitting time to start buying just not sure what to buy. We have a 200 acre farm that we hunt, i have taken deer, rabbit ducks and geese and pheasant off the farm. But over the past few years coyotes have had an impact in the small game numbers.

Criteria:
use on coyotes and ground hogs for sure, possibly deer in upper Michigan
plinking for the challenge of long range shooting
something that can "grow" with me as i get better I love to tinker and modify.
I am leaning towards a stevens gun due to price and after market parts.
not sure what caliber would like to be able to shoot at a reasonable cost when it comes to ammo and barrel life.

i AM OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO OFFER
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New to the sport. Advice needed

Well,
Id recomend anything in the 243, 260rem, various 6.5's, 270wsm......... the list could go on for a looooooooooooooong way. Are you planning more for coyotes and target, or more of a deer gun that has good barrel life, and can double as a target/varmint rifle, kinda like a 308? Theres a hundred ways from Sunday you could go and none of them wrong. Im not much of a smallbore guy,-although its a riot-, but most of my hunting is for Deer, Elk, and Bear, varmints are targets of opportunity in my case, so most of my rifles "overlap" for intended use.
Ill bet a varmint hunter, or small bore guy will jump in any second and help get you squared away.
Good luck, theres alot of great choices out there........... man, I just realised I need more guns to be a more rounded shooter..........

By the way, Welcome to L/R/H!! Hpoe you like it here

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 AM

i am looking for more varmint and long range target, but occasional deer. I was leaning to .223 if only going to varmint hunt. But not sure what to go from there since .223 isn't good enough for deer.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Id recomend anything in the 243, 260rem, various 6.5's, 270wsm.........
I would agree with that.

Being as you got into this because of precision shooting you might look at the Savage F-class rifles which can do double duty. A little heavy for hunting but managable and very competitive on the range even against custom rifles.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:54 AM

of the above which one would be the most economical to shoot and good for learning to hand load?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdc View Post
of the above which one would be the most economical to shoot and good for learning to hand load?
If it were me I'd opt for a Savage model 16 or 12 ( 16 is lighter than the 12 ) Stainless and synthetic ( 16) or stainless and laminate (12) .

243 would be a great round . I shoot three different loads depending on the hunt . 70 gr. Nosler ballistic tips for coyotes and varmints . 95 grn. Bergers and 105 A-max for deer.
There is a lot of good brass available for 243 ( lapua etc.. ) and a great selction of 6mm bullets.
Varget for the lighter bullets and H-4350 for the heavier stuff.
Factory ammo is availble just about anywhere.

Mike
Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 PM

I am thinking more and more towards a 243 as a starting point. Now what am I gonna need when it comes to scopes and reloading?